16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  HOT CHICKS
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

Mike just might have done that. It sounds like there is some concern with the West Nile Virus. I have no opinion on it, but I'm hoping for the best for the birds.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:05 am  Reply with quote

Dave,
The West Nile study was done by the PA Game Commission Grouse Biologist Lisa Williams. The sample size makes it junk science(80% mortality) but the correlation between grouse number and bad West Nile years match. She also discovered that elevation plays a big roll in the West Nile Game. Evidently certain mosquitoes that Carry west Nile do no go above a certain elevation. Pa is starting to move Grouse cover projects to the mountain tops. I think it works out like this West Nile is killing Grouse. If you have great cover and good populations I think the grouse can survive. In parts a PA where we have low numbers and isolated populations we are losing them all together and there is no landscape size adjacent cover for birds to disperse back into the area to repopulate. The Blue Jays and Crow's bounced back but they move much farther distances than Grouse. I think Lisa has a you tube video or 2 on the subject. The only measures we can take is to stay involved and put as much Early Successional Habitat as possible on the ground.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:31 am  Reply with quote

Jan, that's interesting and scary. Thanks for sharing.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Very Scary if your a Grouse hunter. The Grouse line in PA has steadily moved north for the last 30 years. There are no birds where limits used be shot in an hour and places I could run the dogs for a few hours and move 6-8 birds. Now I find one about every other trip. Luckily I don't hunt Grouse in PA very much. Still good pockets in PA but am worried as the populations fractures and separates it makes it real hard for mother nature to repopulate them. The problem is Grouse don't move very far and the more they move the more vulnerable they are and mortality sky rockets.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

up until the last week , we were in the top 5 hottest July's . We just finished 3 days of rain , an inch plus , but other than greening the grass some , it's gone . We did an over nite down to the cabin ( maybe 25 mis. from PA , we are 25 mis from Lake Ontario ) . Quite the difference just 70 mis. south . Still quite wet . Could only do 2/3 of the brush hogging - still too wet . We are 600' from the road with the cabins . We have a pond next to the inner one , and hogged a trail around the pond and the roadside of the cabin last yr . Trail cam had lots of deer , a turkey hen and 4 chicks , a coyote and a few coons . All routine travelers , all within 50' of the cabin . Could not get a read on grouse , didn't hear any drumming even though they do that yr round it seems . Lots of crows .... around here , a few rabbits and deer and squirrels , but no ducks . Much drier here .

Kelulu
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

Perhaps I shouldn't admit it but I was expecting a different type of discussion when I clicked on this post.

Embarassed
Roadkill
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

With this crowd, you can usually expect the worst - but usually get the best!
Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:47 am  Reply with quote

Woodcock are alive and well in Maine. Flight birds are here had 26 points in one cover.
Good season overall to date. Looking forward to a trip out west no trees to contend with.