16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  She's a shootin' son-a-ma-gun!!!!
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

What a great day today. After driving down into the City of Bankrupt Shoulders for a relative's memorial, I made it back out of IL with an afternoon basically to myself so I was able to get a little shooting in.

A few weeks back, as a result of the "is a 7 lb grouse gun too heavy?" Thread, I bought a 16ga 6.4 lb. Winchester Model 24. Overpaid for it at $950 shipped, but I really wanted it because it had 26" barrels and M/IC chokes. Usually when I've seen them they're 28" and M/F.

I've been wanting a 16ga 24 since I bought a 12ga M24 a while back, choked M/F, and had a couple of nice rounds of trap with it.

Well, I finally got to take the little 16 out today and shoot skeet. I went 23, 24, 22, 23, and that includes some doubles from 2, 3, and 4!!!!

I am not even a "decent" skeet shooter. And that is as good as I have ever shot. Some of you know that my sons have been doing my shotgun reloading for years--and they are 7 and 9 years old now. These were their reloads. The same 7/8 oz loads with Int'l Clays and SuperX game load hulls that we've always loaded. Couldn't tell you the FPS anymore, but the wads I picked up today were waaaay out there. Some looked great, others were dished, others leaked shot, others had Elmer's in the middle of the crimp to keep the shot from leaking, and some had once-fired Downrange wads. I'll put my guys' reloads up against factory any day of the week, but I'm biased, and I know it! But the little 24 shot them with aplomb. The double triggers are a nice touch; I had never thought about that before until someone in the above-mentioned thread mentioned it.

Anyhow, the little 24 made me happy, and it was really fun to shoot, so I thought I'd pass it on.

8mmFan

PS. A bonus: some may remember that I mentioned that I have a TON of loaded shells that for some reason weren't re-sized all the way, and won't load in my doubles, either this one, my Lefever, or Citori White Lightning. On a hunch, I took along an old (nickel steel barrel) Win M12 to see if it would cycle them. Hell, it chewed them up and spit them out like a machine gun on links. MUCH cheaper, and way more fun, than buying a Supersizer to "fix" the loaded shells with! Yes, it was indeed a great day.
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Good for you! I didn't think 24's were that light. Great scores for skeet and even more so for the first time out. Enjoy!

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Nothing better than taking a shotgun out for the first time and shooting it really well!
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

I will admit, it was fun. Hopefully it'll translate into something to wash down with good wine and Spotted Cow this fall!
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

Spotted Cow is my favorite! One would be good right now!
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

+1!
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

AWESOME!!
Another satisfied customer Smile

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

I've had a couple mod 24s kinda favor them in 16.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:26 am  Reply with quote

Contrary to seemingly popular opinion I've always had a soft spot for 24's. Early in my 16ga life I considered one but passed on it, and I've always been kinda sorry about that. Good on ya; enjoy those 24's!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook