16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Low Pressure bismith load needed
old colonel
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

Could not find a sub 8,500 PSI cheditte bismuth load other than two LPG, which were noted as inconsistent

However did note the following possible loads

Federal hull, 24.0 grns Longshot, Fed209A primer, Rem SP16 wad, 7,800 PSI 1295 FPS

Federal hull, 25.0 grns Longshot, Fed209A primer, Rem SP16 wad, 8,000 PSI 1300 FPS

PM sent to Woody

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:45 am  Reply with quote

old colonel,

The problem with those two loads is that you will get powder migration. I used a similar load and I believed it was going to be OK, but if the loads are jostled around the powder will migrate. I found it out the hard way, click.....poof......rooster was safe.

At one time I did post that Longshot would not migrate with the SP16 wad in a Federal or Cheddite hull......I was off base with that information.

I have been successful using a Precision Reloading 12 Ga. Tight Seal between powder and SP16 wad to stop the migration of powder in these loads.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:04 am  Reply with quote

+1
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
old colonel,

The problem with those two loads is that you will get powder migration. I used a similar load and I believed it was going to be OK, but if the loads are jostled around the powder will migrate. I found it out the hard way, click.....poof......rooster was safe.

At one time I did post that Longshot would not migrate with the SP16 wad in a Federal or Cheddite hull......I was off base with that information.

I have been successful using a Precision Reloading 12 Ga. Tight Seal between powder and SP16 wad to stop the migration of powder in these loads.

Did you reduce the powder at all? How about a nitro card under the SP16? Thanks.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Why not just use another wad that is compatible with the hull - Gualandi, for just one example. SP16's and R16's need tight hulls like RGL's or Rem SP's, and Win Compression Formed types. Yeah, I know about the "cup-expanding" mod to the Rem PowerPiston wads, which works in thin-wall Rieffenhauser hulls if you like to fiddle - nothing wrong with that, either.
old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

All great ideas

The original request was for 2 1/2 in Bismuth low pressure (which I consider to be sub 8,500 PSi)

I provided tested data pulled from a reputable source.

I agree on placing a thin card to help with migration, but I note if I posted that I am no longer posting tested data. If you add a thicker card you begin to run into the height of the load and making it more difficult to meet the original posted request of a 2 1/2 inch low pressure load.

Concur the precision reloading thin seal maybe the best option and likely to have little or no effect on pressure or velocity

You can also use a bit of Saran Wrap too, but again not a tested load

Reference changing wads again, a neat idea, however the tested data I have available does not provide the low pressure loads which was the request. Further trying to go low pressure with CF Win AA with bismuth puts you in experimental territory..

There is some LPG data, but posting that goes against my commitment when I joined the LPG

While I am willing to play around with data to build loads for 2 1/2 RMC, I am personally cashing those checks and taking those risk, however minimal. l am loathe to wing it when posting online where not everyone has the same experience and judgement.

duckdup
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

Lyman 5th Edition pages 244 & 245 multiple low PSI loads 7,600 to 8,600 with Federal & Fiocchi cases...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...