16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  new ithaca model 37
up-hunter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Hi i was wondering if any body new the specs. of the new model 37. How much it weighs, what it costs things like that? Any knowledge on the new ones would be great.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

You might try going to the source and asking them.
http://www.ithacagunsusa.com/

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:34 am  Reply with quote

I own a 1969 Rotoforged era DLXR and I also bought a new in box King's ferry Deluxe model 37 16 ga. early last spring with a 26" barrel and choke tubes. it has the deluxe style stock with the fatter forend. It weighs a bit over 6-3/4 pounds, about the same as the earlier gun. The original LOP on either gun is 14". I put a longer pad on the old gun and a spacer under the pad of the new one to bring them to 14-1/4" which is perfect for my 5"8" average build frame. Taller folks might want a longer stock. If so, the right LOP can be special ordered I'm sure.

I also bought a new 24" barrel for my older gun. The shorter but heavier tube weighs exactly the same as the original 28" ribbed barrel, but shifts the balance back more between my hands. The gun is very reponsive with it and handles about like a 26" double gun. It is very quick to the shoulder and comes up flat without a hint of muzzle heaviness. It makes for a very quick pointing short work upland gun. For longer range work like open field pheasants, I'd stay with the 26 inch model or swap out the 24" barrel for the original 28" one on the older gun. Either would work.

The newest guns will probably be within the same weight range as the King's Ferry guns. The barrels will remain substantially heavier than the Rotoforged barrels on the earlier guns, so staying with a 24" or 26" gun will keep the weight under 7 pounds yet still have enough mass to swing well. The new 28 inch models feel decidedly muzzle heavy to me. Some folks might like that, especially those who shoot a lot of high gun skeet.

A trimmer forend like the ringed corn cob type might reduce the weight an ounce or two. However, my guns swing and handle so much like my Browning Citori models that I'm right at home with either gun. Any 16 ga gun within the 6-1/2 to 6-3/4 pound range has just about the right weight to swing well and handle smoothly for me if the balance is right. I shoot better overall with a gun over six and 1/2 pound than under. I think a lot of folks do. Hope the info helps. I doubt you will find a better 16 ga pump than an Ithaca 37. they are just super IMO.