16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  2" load? Got carried away with Byrdog's shell shortener
8mmFan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Would any of you have a couple of 2" loads you like? I ended up cutting some previously 2 1'2" roll crimped hulls to 2", but now I can't find a load for them.

I have titewad, 700x, clays, Int'l clays, titewad, unique, green dot, and a couple of other powders, and a whole bunch of short little wads, roll crimper, etc.

I also have the 16ga manual and Advantages manual from BPI; nothing is listed there for 2" 16ga loads. I am also a member of the low-pressure group, but I haven't been able to get in for a long time. It's on me; I just forgot my password.

Any help greatly appreciated.

8mmFan
8mmFan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

I should add that Byrdog's shell shortener is everything it's cracked up to be. It's sturdy, simple, it works perfectly, and for what it does it's a bargain at the price.

If you're one of those suave, roll-crimping, 16ga shell-shortener types, and you don't have it, you need to get it. SO much easier than the BPI one that I had--that thing's headed for eBay.

Thanks Byrdog!!!

8mmFan
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:06 am  Reply with quote

Do you belong to oldhunters yahoo group?

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/reloading16gauge/info

I think if you look for loads arranged by wad and dial in on the Stacked or Old Style loads and play a bit with (reduce/remove) filler cards you might find a stack height that would fit in a 2"RC shell.

Good luck with that..

Yes, agreed, accolades to byrdog's hull cutter and oldhunter's reloading library.

Carlos
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:08 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Do you belong to oldhunters yahoo group?

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/reloading16gauge/info

I think if you look for loads arranged by wad and dial in on the Stacked or Old Style loads and play a bit with (reduce/remove) filler cards you might find a stack height that would fit in a 2"RC shell.

Good luck with that..

Yes, agreed, accolades to byrdog's hull cutter and oldhunter's reloading library.

I haven't done 2" 16gauge, but did do some twelves this way. I ended up roll-crimping.
goathoof
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:13 am  Reply with quote

Because the remington sp16 wad has a short base, I have shortened the petals to fit in a short hull. They were around 2-2 1/4 inches. Also they were roll crimped. I did this a while ago and do not have the info handy. But the shells did work fine.
8mmFan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, guys. I do have some old cardboard stacking "wads" of some type. I would imagine that I can use a 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" inch component measurement of powder and shot, and simply use these cardboard wads to try out.

I will work with it and report back. thanks for the replies and the help.

8mmFan
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:48 am  Reply with quote

I do have a 2" load, but would have to dig through bunch of stuff to find it.
I know I used plastic gas seal, and hard cards, but I do not remember the combo, I think I was using Universal powder, they were cheddite hulls. and I think 3/4oz of shot, but maybe this afternoon, I will dig around.

As my hulls wore out, I would cut them shorter, use them again, shooting clays out back
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Hootch. I did try a load yesterday with a hard card. It was just my standard 2 3/4 load with I'ntl Clays and 7/8 oz of shot, with a hard card sandwiched in between. I didn't have a gas seal though, and the results at just 30 yards were abysmal. I am going to have to order some gas seals. I have a hunch that if I do that I'll get better results.

I may also just throw these hulls away if I can't find a decent load for them. I accidentally cut them to 2", and there are only 25 of them.

Thanks again for the info. If you do happen to come up with your load and it's easy to post, I'll try it out.

8mmFan
16'er
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:51 am  Reply with quote

Got a bird dog? Load up a box of poppers for summer training if it’s only 25 shells cut to 2”.
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:42 am  Reply with quote

I looked through my folders, found a bunch of 12 and 10ga short loads, but couldn
t find my 16 sub 2.5" load. Still looking, might be on one of my CD,s and current laptop does not run cd's so will have to take to some other computer to look in there. BUt now that you say INT Clays, I think that was powder I used. it was the
powder used in the 12ga short hulls and listed in some of the 16ga 2,5"s

Perusing the 12ga 2", I think that is what I used as I kind of followed one of the 12 loads, for an idea, then I think I used a short 16ga load, and subtracted hard card, and maybe from 7/8 oz to 3/4 oz,

Anyway the gas seal is the ticket.
goathoof
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:46 am  Reply with quote

This load rolls to 2 inches: remington hull

15.5 gr Green Dot
sp16 wad - shorten the petals
3/4 oz lead
fiocchi primer
~1200fps

If your hulls are already just 2 inches, you will need to slightly reduce the lead or powder. If your hulls are not remingtons, this load may fit as is. You may need to do subtle adjustments to get the fit.
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Hootch and Goathoof.

I took Goathoof's load this evening and made a shell with it. These hulls are Win X game load hulls. I cut down the petals of an SP16 wad a little too much, but I got it all in the hull, with 3/4 oz of 9 shot, and 15.5 grains of Green Dot. Roll crimped it with a little room to spare. I could probably have put a full oz of shot in.

I'm going to try and pattern it sometime in the next couple of days and see how it does, and I'll let you know.

Hootch I'm going to go ahead and order the gas seals. If that works, then making these little shorties with hulls that eventually have to be cut down past 2.5" will be a way to make hulls last.

Thanks again, guys.

8mmFan
goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:29 am  Reply with quote

I forgot to mention the parent of the load I listed. It is from lyman's 5th edition:

Rem hull
7/8 lead
18.0 gr Green Dot
sp16 wad
rem 209p primer
1266fps
pressure 9800
one 20 ga felt wad (1/8") under shot.

Using this base load, variations can be made for different hull lengths.
Carlos
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:40 am  Reply with quote

If reloaded hulls get too hard (OR SHORT) to star, or roll crimp, try a glued-in OS Card. I have only done a handful, but it seems viable.

If you don't have any plastic nitro cards handy, try cutting them off otherwise unused wads. (At least for proof of concept.) I whack thin cushion cards from pulp egg carton stock with an 11/16"-18mm arch punch. Also, you could slice cushion wads down to 1/8"?
8mmFan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

This is what's so great about the Internet: you get information from fellow travelers, like you guys, that's exactly relevant to the questions you're asking.

Thanks for tips, Carlos. I didn't even think about making my own gas seals. I'll give it a whirl and report back when I get a chance to try a few.

8mmFan