16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The Strange Case of Chester and the Rabbit
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

The wonderful post on Setters http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21365 immediately caught my attention for the part on the dog and the hare. Something slightly akin to it is happening here.

Chester is our mostly black lab, around 95 lbs hunting trim, excellent on upland game and waterfowl, and wonderful family pet being especially affectionate and tender with young children.

Chester's night job is patrolling the grounds and driving the bears, coyotes, raccoons, and other assorted troublemakers off the property, which he does with great fury and urgency, bearing scratches and scars as testament to his dedication. He doesn't spare the squirrels either, for their sneaky thieving ways around the birdfeeder greatly offend his sense of honor. And of course the cat is persona non grata outside the house.

However there is one exception to Chester's rule: A rabbit. He allows it to sit, feed, and even sleep unmolested on the lawn. It follows him around the yard. No exertions on my part will convince him to chase, or even disturb it. He merely treats it as if it were a stump or rock. He wanders by it without as much as a sidelong glance. We have witnessed Chester stroll near the rabbit, lie down, and fall asleep.

It is understandable that the rabbit might seek proximity to Chester for protection from the many predators here which include bobcats and cougars. But why does Chester reciprocate? This is the third season of this odd situation. We are baffled.

Has anyone seen something similar to this?

Thanks

B.

[/u]
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

We had an old healer/BC mix dog that shared a special affection for one of Dad's horses, but never any wild animals. Interesting.

The squirrel comment reminds of an incident a week ago. Pine squirrels are, well... the equivalent of the mouthy kid at the back of the class that everyone always wanted to beat up. Our mountains are overrun with them right now. I chased one out of a hollow tree and for first time ever gave Rusty the "get it" command expecting a good show and cartoon scene type of chase...well he actually caught the thing! Shocked

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing I have a GWP that thinks squirrels are the devil incarnate and feels it's his job to torment or catch all who enter our property. Although they are known to hate all things furry the wifes' cat eats out of his bowl with him and they at times curl up together on his bed for a nap. Go figure! And yes I encourage him to point rabbits (my favorite wild game to eat).
Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

Friends dog has had many bad friendships with porcupines, they don't cuddle up well. The only one who really likes porcupines is Pumpgun aka Dr. Kevorkian of the Vet world. He always has a new gun in the spring from all the quill pulling he does. Think he breeds them and throws them out on his clients front yards when the dogs are out taking their nightly squirt.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Griffon wrote:
Friends dog has had many bad friendships with porcupines, they don't cuddle up well. The only one who really likes porcupines is Pumpgun aka Dr. Kevorkian of the Vet world. He always has a new gun in the spring from all the quill pulling he does. Think he breeds them and throws them out on his clients front yards when the dogs are out taking their nightly squirt.

Both my GSP's have been skunked and porcupined. I'll take the skunk any day over those quills. Both porcupines were in NE Montana, and not in forested country, just brushy draws. The vet bills do get expensive.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
gave Rusty the "get it" command expecting a good show and cartoon scene type of chase...well he actually caught the thing!

The squirrels are safe from Chester. Many words could describe him...sturdy, powerful, fast...but agile is not one of them. The squirrels inevitably escape, which only fuels his rage against them.

The closest I ever came to seeing a dog fly was when he spotted one out of the corner of his eye creeping toward the birdfeeder while we were busy working at the woodpile. The whole episode was over in a moment, and ended as usual with Chester glaring fiercely but fruitlessly into the trees.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

Molly has befriended a cat the neighbors obtained . They visit for a couple minutes every time they spot each other , all cuddly and nuzzly . Molly goes for a walk every nite , and we are in a small village - can't chase bunnies . Since the cat , the bunnies will sit there till they are 5' away from each other , and Molly will just wag her tail and politely try to visit . I didn't run her last fall as conditions were bad and she's getting on in age , so now she's trying to go the friendly rt in retirement !