16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  barrels for ithaca model 37, Question for knowledge here
fourtrax
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:14 am  Reply with quote

A year or two ago I gave my Grand Nephew a model 37 (16 ga) from either the late 40-s or early 50-s. It has the brass bead and the pin in the magazine nut. Can a modern steel barrel (steel shot compatible) be purchased and would it fit that era of model 37?

byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:34 am  Reply with quote

No.- I have a number of 37ns much like the one you describe. I have used one of them for steel shot with no barrel ware at all,altho I did try Hevi shot in it and some scratching did appear after that. I still use steel shot in it with no problems.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
nwmac
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:33 am  Reply with quote

If the barrel is choked full shooting steel is definitely not advised. In this case I would shoot Bismuth or Tungsten. Actually thats what I shoot in my M37's even with more open chokes, These are special guns, particularly in sub-gauges and those production years. Shooting steel through them and running the risk of screwing up the barrel is something to consider, especially since there are good alternative ammo options.
Cheesy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:18 am  Reply with quote

A new barrel can be fitted at Ithaca in Ohio, but it is not a reversible process, the original barrel will no longer fit. I passed in doing this on mine.

Les Hovencamp at Diamond Gunsmithing can fit an old barrel to it, and choke it appropriately to what you’re shooting.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

I know someone who has been shooting steel thru a 1948 sixteen gauge with a mod. choke for years and claims no damage.I use nothing but Bismuth and lead in the 3 sixteens I have. If you must don't shoot anything bigger then 4's. By the way,1 oz of #4 Bismuth is as deadly as the old lead days even on geese to 35 yards even 40 with head/neck shots. Enjoy what in my mind is the king of 16 gauges.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

The 'magic' serial number for M37 barrel interchangeability is 855,000. Guns with lower serial numbers are not user-interchangeable, above that, all should.