16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Japanese era Sweet 16
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:57 am  Reply with quote

I've decided to put mine up for sale. 26 inch vented, cyl,IC,Mod tubes,wrench. Except for a light recoil line from the forend, the metal finish is very near perfect. The stock has 2 small marks from when a friends lab stepped on it. Works perfect. $1295. PM me for pics if interested.

David Spear
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:18 am  Reply with quote

For those who haven’t requested pictures, the furniture on this Auto 5 is very nice.
David Spear
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:21 am  Reply with quote

For those who haven’t requested pictures, the furniture on this Auto 5 is very nice.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:25 am  Reply with quote

Dave, no offense, but I wonder if you meant the wood, instead of "the furniture". Try this: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gun_furniture Furniture, as it relates to guns, is not the stock or the forend wood.

Here, of course, is a supporting article: https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=OLwUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA137#v=onepage&q&f=false

In fact, furniture in general means furnishings or trappings useful or desirable for a purpose or tastes: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/furniture Because it is mostly an archaic term, seldom encountered nowadays outside reference to the furnishings/trappings of our homes, of which wood is a major component, we have come to inadvertently limit ourselves to that connection or use without considering its more general meaning. That paves the way for folks to call any wood component of anything "furniture". As it relates to guns, as well as some other things, however, furniture does have a specific meaning, having nothing to do with wood per se.

Cheers!
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

Tony, I remember seeing furniture as a choice with muzzleloaders, usually iron vs brass, but as the first link indicates it's an obsolete term. As such, the firearms enthusiast community has picked it up to denote wood (walnut) on guns lacking plastic stockwork. I don't think it's going to stop.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

Obsolete is an oft-misused word, KGB, and not the right one in this case. It means "no longer useful" - nothing could be further from the truth. Superseded is another oft-misused word, and it means "replaced by something newer", for whatever reason. Neither is correct in this case, because folks in the gun industry still use furniture properly with reference to specific parts of guns and rifles. Go ahead and refer to the wood as furniture in discussions with a gunmaker or gunsmith from Britain, Italy, Spain or wherever, and see if you don't get at least a raised eyebrow and a correction, if not a patronizing smile or a muffled laugh. Archaic is the right word to describe the use of furniture in reference to/with guns -- it is old, but certainly not obsolete or superseded by any other term. It is still in use and accurate - it means something. That's not "going to stop" and go away. With reference to gun wood, furniture is just plain incorrect, and ignorance, though it is natural, innocent and common in all of us (we can't know everything), is no excuse for misuse of a term.

You're right, KGB, folks can do what they want with words, of course, and some aren't "going to stop". They might if they really had to deal with the consequences, though. Languages lose richness when vocabulary goes to hell, the same for grammar, spelling and punctuation, etc. That is very evident in at least the last two generations. Current business communications of any complexity with X-Gens and Millenials are generally a nightmare, with only a few able to express themselves clearly, in writing at the very least. I wonder what language their children will speak/write. The time they "save" with the short-cuts of the type you see in their emails and texts, is spent at least double or triple in cross-examining them to clarify their intent, or in repairing the mistakes resulting from their inaccurate expressions.
Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:17 am  Reply with quote

I think this thread has been hijacked Crying or Very sad David was just trying to do something nice. The gun really has extra extra nice wood.

kgb
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:24 am  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
Obsolete is an oft-misused word, KGB, and not the right one in this case.

Okay, but it's in the first link that you used to set up your correction. Not that wiktionary couldn't use some corrections.

Just observing that furniture is now, albeit fully incorrectly, used in reference to wood in the (informal/lazy/whatever we'd like to call it) current firearms world. I don't know where it started, but it's taken hold.

I have seen the memes about bringing Gen-Xers and Millennials to a full stop with cursive and manual transmissions, but it doesn't change what is happening. Just comments on it.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:33 am  Reply with quote

My apologies, Savage16. You are right. Sorry.
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16, good luck with your sale, the nit pickers will always do their best to show off their superior mastery of the language.

I get it: the gun has real nice wood. Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
pumpgun
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:40 am  Reply with quote

Does Bondo and duct tape count as "furniture"?
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

pumpgun wrote:
Does Bondo and duct tape count as "furniture"?

+1, hee, hee.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...