16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  WTB: Westley Richards
rWt
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:47 am  Reply with quote

I am looking for a WR fixed or droplock boxlock in 16ga. I'll also consider a 12 ga. Must be all original in excellent condition with Model "C" dolls head and snap action lever and Deeley catch. Double triggers.
28" barrels. Straight stock with 15 1/8" LOP and drop@comb near 1 1/4" and drop@heel close to 2 1/4" with 1/4" cast off or bendable to get there much preferred. Perfect screws. Prefer a between the wars gun. Minimum barrel thickness of .025 or greater. Under 6 1/2 lbs preferred.

Send PM here.

Thank you
rWt
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you. I have seen that listing and every listing on gun broker and guns international. It's a lovely gun that's around 110 years old. Looks to have been recolored/restored at some time. $25K is more than a bit optimistic, IMO, for a sleeved gun.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

I saw it as a single trigger and pulled it
and now see you are tracking guns on Gunbroker and International

I will keep looking

Good luck, Mike

p.s.
still a single trigger but 1/2 price Smile

https://www.gunsamerica.com/963608864/Westley-Richards-Drop-Lock-Pigeon-Original-and-Custom-wood.htm

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
rWt
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you, Mike!

Yes-I have seen that one. It is a sweet looking "Best Grade" gun with all the WR goodies. Since the WR single trigger was viewed as a major advance it was often fitted on Best Grade guns. If you wanted double triggers WR would give you a deduction in the price. Their single trigger is still highly thought of by gunsmiths. I doubt that it is as reliable as the Winchester Model 21 single trigger. The vast majority of droplocks I have looked at have the single trigger.

I almost cried when I read it had Briley choke tubes. I wish the owner would have bought an AYA 4/53 and had Briley tubes installed in that gun. The incremental value in an untouched droplock would have more than offset that cost. Grrrrr
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

so are you looking for a low grade drop lock???
hmmmmmm

rWt
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

Droplocks came in all variety of grades. I can do without the full coverage engraving. More moderate engraving is often found on between the wars guns, including some dropocks. And, I am also quite possibly satisfied with a fixed lock gun.

I have looked at several Gold Name droplocks that had zero engraving-except the name Westley Richards, which was on both action sides and gold filled, but were built to Best Grade standards. They are considerably less expensive in the States than engraved droplocks. Finding a gun with workable stock dimensions for me has been the challenge.