16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  RST 1oz #5 shot and South Dakota Phez
T-Bird
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

I hunted Phez last year for the first time on a guided hunt on private land. Previous years (3) I had hunted public land and the "ditches". We come from Ala. so don't have many local connections. These private land birds shots were closer than what I was used to and more plentiful. Anyway, I have a LC 1940 made , 2 9/16 chamber field grade that I would love to "work on'em" with. I think these shells are quite suitable for this application.The shells I used last year were Fiocci 1 1/8 oz nickle plated at 1300ish fps. I shot them out of a 16 ga superlite. They killed quite well. Am I right about the suitability of the RST #5?. I would really like to get this old girl out and let her get after Phez.
bbrown
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

I have used that load over dogs on wild Kansas pheasants late season, and if I do my job they drop them dead. That is through my Ithaca Flues choked IC/IM.

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

Over pointing dogs and labs I have used RST’s with both #5 and #6 shot on wild pheasant and they drop like a stone. That is using a 16 SxS with .001 and .011 chokes. I do have to choose my shots but that has more to do with the chokes than the ammo.

With another 16 I just picked up that is choked .004 and .021 I dropped a pen raised bird at 50 yards last winter. I haven’t got that gun out on wild pheasant yet, but the ammo does it’s job.

Good Hunting,
Mike

Last edited by Chicago on Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

I would see how the gun patterns to verify this, but I think I would rather use the RST 1 oz. #5 than the Golden Pheasant high speed load. All things equal, the RST load should actually pattern better in most guns, assuming that the shot is a true high antimony pellet. I often find that not all nickel plated shot is nearly as hard as advertised. There is a lot of hype these days.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:31 am  Reply with quote

My father-in-law always said 5's don't pattern as well as 6's. I don't know why he thought this or if it's true. But I've never used anything but 1oz of 6's on wild Kansas pheasants, and they dropped wild SD pheasants just as well last year. I like the RST's or Polywads; those Golden Pheasants are way too stiff for any gun I own.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:53 am  Reply with quote

T-Bird,

The RST or the Poly 2 1/2" shells will work fine if you shoot with in 30-35 yards, and you do your job. I love my L.C. Smith 16 for Pheasants, with the 2 1/2" Poly SpredR's however long shots I leave alone. Let the dog set the birds up properly for you, and keep your gunning to a reasonable 30-35 yard distance and you should have no problems.

I would definitely pattern your good L.C. Smith double gun using the RST or Poly SpredR's before you do you Pheasant hunt. Most L.C. Smith 16 guns throw a real nice patter with these 2 1/2" SpredR shells.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pre 13 L.C. Smith 2 Barrel Set - One set of BBLs choked for Pheasant and Duck, the other choked for Grouse, Woodcock and Quail. I shoot a lot of RST & Poly SpredR's with this particular double gun.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/54811_600x400/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
T-Bird
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna take her! I patterned these shells several years ago right after I got them shortly after I bought the gun and they patterned well from what I remember. At 35 paces, this gun shoots right behind the bead with both barrels.
T-Bird
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

You know, now that I think about it, I didn't even pattern those Fioccis, they kicked too much. I just went hunting. They apparently pattern pretty well, I killed alot of birds, most DIA. When hunting, I don't notice recoil.
Ackley
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

That is by far my favorite load for wild KS birds from my Elsie, too. You will love them.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Make you a deal, if the RST's don't kill pheasants, send them to me and I will properly dispose of them. It's least I can do as a responsible 16 owner.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:35 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
My father-in-law always said 5's don't pattern as well as 6's. I don't know why he thought this or if it's true. But I've never used anything but 1oz of 6's on wild Kansas pheasants, and they dropped wild SD pheasants just as well last year. I like the RST's or Polywads; those Golden Pheasants are way too stiff for any gun I own.

+1 on the RST 1 oz #6's, work for me.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
studdog
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

Same here, great load for old guns. No need for more to kill any bird. Patterns better than most in my 1926 Fox. My go to load for pheasants. 6's or 5's.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

The best shot I ever made on a phez was a crossing shot with 1oz RST 6's at 50 yds. Stoned him. RST's will definitely do the job if you do yours.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
IDcut
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot the RST's in my short chambered model 12 16 ga and other short chambered doubles. Having shot a Remington 870 for years and accustomed to the safe located at the back of the trigger. When hunting with the model 12, I still occasionally poke around to find the front of the trigger guard safety on the model 12.

I was hunting pheasants with a friend, using the model 12 when the labs flushed a rooster, about 25 yards out. I poked around for the safe and by the time I slid it off, the rooster was at least 45-50 yards out, flying straight away and dropped it stone dead with the RST 1oz #5's.

My friend sure showed some restraint on that bird! I've used RST ammo for years on wild birds both here in ID and SD and have been completely satisfied with them.
last dollar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:34 am  Reply with quote

I shoot lotsa roosters with that load in both my 16 Jeffery and my 12 Lefever. No need for anything heavier....Does the job....