16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 ga wad for steel shot?
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:20 am  Reply with quote

I know the question sounds a little weird but, hey I'm a little weird......I have a factory cyl barrel for a short chambered 16 ga A5 and steel shot would work fine at the ranges I'll shoot it.

Given the price of Bizmuth shot these days I thought I might try loading a short 16 ga shell with steel. However I need a wad that will keep the steel shot from scoring up the barrel. Does anyone know if a (steel shot) wad has ever been made for the 16?

BTW, it's ok to make fun of me with your response!

Jeff
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:54 am  Reply with quote

Jeff - search BPI - I think they have one - if my memory of recent homework serves me...

For some reason I think it's just a shot cup with no crush zone - I may be thinking of the bismuth wads I've picked up though...

please post up if you find something
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Jeff Ballistic Products lists a Multi-Metal 16 gauge wad that they say will work with Biamuth, Steel, Hevi-Shot and lead. Their catalog number is 2221680.

I haven't used these wads so I can't recommend them one way or the other.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:02 am  Reply with quote

It's the BP Multi Metal wad. It's a solid cup, no petals, no crush zone. Looks like a little plastic test tube. They're .668 OD.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

Sure enough....should have looked before posting.

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=2221680

Though the lack of slits on the cup will sure protect the bore, I wonder if it affects pattern? It just seems to me that the shot may not exit the cup promptly and evenly.....but I may try them and see what kind of patterns I get out of my cyl bore!

Jeff
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

Go ahead and slit the wad and use the mylar or other plastic 'sheet' inserts in the multi-metal wad---gives protection and 'petals' if you desire.
Most of the infortation I have suggests that harder shot (steel, tungsten-steel, hevi-shot) is not particularly harmful to barrels up to modified choking.
I gave up ferrous materials some time ago and am sold on T/M and bismuth (shells are the least expensive part of a hunt!) BUT I have used the 'hard' shot in A-5's, model 12's and numerous other shotguns without chrome barrels and had no problems---an acquaintance of mine DID manage to peen the choke enough to get a slight bulge in an old 11-48 but it was choked full.
There will doubtlessly be other opinions, but I have never managed to get steel or any of the steel alloys to give me the performance I get from other non-toxic payloads and, believing the game deserves a 'quick kill', I use shot that mimics lead in performance.
Haiwee
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

The BP Multi-Metal wad definitely needs to be slit -- otherwise you'll be sending a slug-like projectile downrange. Experiment with various numbers of slits and depths of slits until you find what combination works best with your specific gun. For my M37 with modified barrel I find I get the best patterns with four equadistant slits to about 1/4 inch from the bottom of the shot cup. For steel shot, I always use a mylar insert for extra barrel protection; don't know if it truly helps or not, but then again I haven't damaged the barrels of any of my guns.