16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddites stick in chamber, fail to extract, fet, any help?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

My Lefever got hot enough playing target games this morning that it burned one of my fingers! My buddy was winging the targets with just enough time to refill chambers. To make matters worse, I was firing both barrels if there was still a piece of clay in the air to finish off. But for what it is worth, I have lengthened the forcing cones and after I lengthened the cones I did polish everything out to 800 grit.

You were originally hoping someone would post a trick or temporary cure all. The only one I can think of is coating the trouble areas of the hulls with silicone spray. Silicones have a maximum working temperature of 450 degrees, so the hulls should stay slick.

casebro
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:35 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:

You were originally hoping someone would post a trick or temporary cure all. The only one I can think of is coating the trouble areas of the hulls with silicone spray. Silicones have a maximum working temperature of 450 degrees, so the hulls should stay slick.

I did try "Son of a gun", supposed to dry to be a silicone wax. No help. Which is another point aiming at heat-melty-sticky. Like the pizza cheese stick to the roof of your mouth in spite of the saliva.

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:30 am  Reply with quote

You have a chamber problem,plain and simple. Since you don't want to use the "bottle brush"type to clean it up, take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber reamed. End of problem.As a side note, I'm not a model 12 guy but on Ithaca 37's if the extractor notches in the barrel and receiver aren't lined up exactly they will act this way with Euro hulls. It's NOT the heat! Put a empty hull in your oven and starting at 150 degrees keep turning it up 15 degrees at a time until the hull starts to melt. It's gonna take a heck of a lot more heat then you can generate shooting a box of shells as fast as you can. Try putting a laser thermometer on you barrel the second the shell sticks,you'll be surprised.
pumpgun
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

None of my 16g M12s will cycle Cheddites reliably. None of my friend's 16g M12's will cycle them reliably either. (I know, I don't have any friends)
These hulls seem work the best in 16g M12s
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/remington-16-gauge-upland-lead-game-loads-008807307p#repChildCatid=28368

Why not just buy a few cases and be done with it.
wellshooter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with a Mod 37. Ithaca told me the thin metal in the modern hulls is a problem in older guns. They are, and it still hangs once in while even though I BOUGHT a modern barrel for it that Ithaca promised would fix the issue.

Funny, none of my M31's has ever had a problem with extraction of any type hull. Another reason I think they are superior pump guns. Very Happy

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
pumpgun
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

I also have an M31. It'll eat anything. Kinda like a seagull.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

casebro wrote:
Upland Carpenter wrote:
casebro wrote:
Upland Carpenter wrote:
Having been a relatively quiet member of this site for over a decade, I've learned a lot and come to my own conclusions about who knows their stuff and who just pretends. IMO, Dogchaser is in the first group.

Oftentimes, it serves one well to know what you don't know. "... Some men you just can't reach".

Marc

There are limits to everyone's knowledge, even Dogchaser's.

And you know NOTHING of me or my qualifications. But I'll give a hint: http://imageevent.com/bigchriscase Please scroll through all 25 items on the pull down menu before passing judgement on whether I might have troubleshooting skills.

Or maybe Dogchaser is a Plastics engineer?

I know Dogchaser has considerable experience in the ballistics/ammunition industry. I know from his history here that he actually knows a thing or two and has helped those who've asked. I know you posted a thread asking for help and some tried to do just that. I know those responses have been pointless.

I know nothing of you and your qualifications because you have next to no history here. No where in my post did I say anything in regards to YOUR qualifications but you apparently consider yourself an authority and have all the answers so why bother asking for input?

You said there were people here who just pretend, and said Dog is in the other group. leaving me in the pretenders. It's called a "veiled insult". So yes, you did say I don't know anything.

Pointless responses? I've tried them all. Then when I say I'll try something different you act like I committed blasphemy. He spells it D-o-g, not G-o-d. If he is as big of a man as you say, he ought to welcome new ideas.

Hey Dog, in all that experience in the ammo business, did you happen to be a hull engineer?

New idea- I'm make a copper soldering iron tip with ribs in it. 5-6, use it to melt in new grooves in the top, the Roll Crimp section, of a few shells. Once open, they ought to allow gasses past the slick ring, where i suspect the sticking happens. Because them RGLs I shot today did not stick, and had powder residue down the sides. I suspect RGL plastic is somewhere between STS and Ched. Just a tad more resistant to flow when warm than Feds and Cheds.

Waste of my time? Waste of some hulls? What's it's value to you? New knowledge, the ability to use Cheddites in our guns, Priceless!

Choose to believe what you will casebro. There was no intent to extend an insult, neither "veiled" nor blatant, in my statement. Just because I did not include you in the first category does not mean it is my belief you fall in to the other. By your logic, I intended a veiled insult to everyone on this board other than Dogchaser. That certainly would not be the case.

Marc

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:18 am  Reply with quote

Pumpgun how can I take your advice seriously, you remove dog testicles for a living. Noticed you eyeing my RBL on weds. time to scrap that troublesome M12.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:36 am  Reply with quote

Griffon,

I would take anyone serious that removes testicles..........you might want to reconsider your position!!

byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:35 am  Reply with quote

The metal heads on shells used to be made of solid brass which will bite a sharp edge better than plated steel. I replaced all the extractor parts on an old M 12 that was not ejecting reliably and it was vastly improved with the new factory parts. I then had to replace the slide release lever as one of the springs snapped. the new release totally solved the problem. I figured out that the old release was impeding the initial draw back of the claw and the steel head was cocking in the chamber ring. so it was old worn, tired parts that was the problem. I no longer own any M 12's but I have a great love of the Ithaca M 37

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
pumpgun
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
Griffon,

I would take anyone serious that removes testicles..........you might want to reconsider your position!!

Naw, he's just sour that his "source" of once fired Herter's decided to try reloading, and now he's having to dig into his stash of RGLs. With all the whining and complaining about sore backs, bad knees etc, around the club, 'ole Griffon's pretty spry when there's purple hulls on the ground.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:53 am  Reply with quote

I should have known there was more to the story!!

Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

Poopgun you are correct never should have talked my source of purple hulls into reloading. I've got 20 years on you but no complaints about health, I can keep up with you. Think you remove cat testicles too don't you?

pumpgun
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Griffon wrote:
Think you remove cat testicles too don't you?

I figure about a box of RGLs pet nut.
Meow.
Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

case