16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Remington 31 restoration ?s
dannypratt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

Fellas,
I've got a pre war Remington 31 16ga w/factory 26" IC barrel...blueing is 95%+ all original,
Wood itself is 100% in condition, EXCEPT...somebody put a recoil pad on it in the 40's or 50's and its hammered out...at the same time it would appear they put some kind of finish over the existing...its not horrible, but I've got to replace the pad, its complete junk and while I'm doing this I've decided it's time to simply strip and refinish the stocks. The stock has been cut so it's not going to be a 100% original gun, but I'd like it to be "period correct".

1) what were the factory available pads that Remington OR Stoeger would have offered in 1936 ish...

2) does anyone know what the actual TYPE of finish was used on Remington 31s in this era...ie...oil varnish, shellac, nitrocellulose lacquer, etc...

Thanks in advance fellas!

Paperhulls
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:33 pm  Reply with quote

A classic red gum rubber type recoil pad would be period correct. Lyman makes onehttps://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/pachmayr/recoil-pads/skeet-pads/d752b-decelerator-old-english.html

As far as the finish I would go with tung or boiled linseed oil.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

PH,
I was considering that very pad. And I was considering linseed oil with a wipe on satin polyurethane finish over the top, for light sheen. I like tung oil finishes quite a bit, but I think the linseed oil would allow a slightly richer natural color.

I had a Model 31L, but it was a much later gun, and the finish on that gun was 100 % original, and some kind of varnish. Dont know what though.

I'm thinking Researcher has got be here somewhere....hes normally a virtual reference book on Remingtons..

Paperhulls
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
PH,
I was considering that very pad. And I was considering linseed oil with a wipe on satin polyurethane finish over the top, for light sheen. I like tung oil finishes quite a bit, but I think the linseed oil would allow a slightly richer natural color.

I had a Model 31L, but it was a much later gun, and the finish on that gun was 100 % original, and some kind of varnish. Dont know what though.

I'm thinking Researcher has got be here somewhere....hes normally a virtual reference book on Remingtons..

Tung oil will give you that look and the protection of a poly with about 4 coats
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

Try mixing tung oil and poly together about 50/50. Works real nice. Wink

Researcher
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

The actual type of finish used on "standard" Grade Remington stocks in that era was DuPont Duco.

The Model 31TC came "standard" with a Hawkins pad with the "heart" shaped openings. Unfortunately the repro of that pad that is available is the largest one with 15 openings. The one normally seen on the Model 31TC has 13 openings and I'd suspect a smallbore Model 31 might need one with even fewer openings.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

WyCh:
Yep....that is an excellent mix, I have applied that in the past!

ReSr:
I had spotted a few 31 TCs with that pad as well, and the 1939 Shooters Bible print illustration shows that as well, however I wasnt 100% on it, due to the fact that it "could" have been the style of pad that Stoeger themselves would have installed. As to the DuPont finish, I suspected this existing finish was Duco, as it shows the same style of abrasion scuffing as Fox guns do in that time period, however I think someone linseed oiled this stock over the top of the Duco, because the abrasions are dark colored, much like aged linseed oil would have done. Thank you for confirming my suspicions!

Thank you everyone for all of the information so far! Anything else you have to offer is welcome indeed!