16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sorting out the quiver Remington 11-48 and Model 12 photos
bmc
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

We learned last year that before any gun goes on our traveling permit, it must be vetted. Some lessons are hard to learn, so we loaded up and made a quick trip to the clays course to pattern and run the guns.

Last year we had one 11-48 that just wasn’t right. Over the summer Jack chased the problem and thought he had it fixed. But the first few rounds proved the old problem persisted. So we started ‘parts’ swapping with known working guns.

That smile means we’ve located the issue on the problem gun, and its time to get back in the box and test it out.

Problem solved, so its time to move onto the pattern board to see what exactly makes these old guns so magical?

In the end it was a successful mission, all guns sorted out. Pattern test done with various reloads and factory shells, and these guns will make the cut.

It’s fun to see and compare all the various old American repeaters. The model 11-48s were definitely interesting to compare. There didnt seem to be much rhyme or reason as to why one gun had a certain checkering pattern, and why another gun had a plain foreend cap vs. a slotted. The sprotsman seemed to match a late serial numbered gun, and the youngest gun had some Details that matched the sportsman. The history and the mysteries of these old guns makes tending to them and carrying them in field even that much more satisfying.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:24 am  Reply with quote

Marcus , it's always FUN playing with the 48's . They are just a cool gun I didn't appreciate during their time ! the fastest / easiest way to tell a Sportsman is they have an A5 looking fore end . The reg guns don't have the slot . And that fe doesn't have the diamond checkering . The Pink Panther is an unaltered Sportsman except the 3 shot lugs on the mag tube were drilled to allow 5 shots . It's a really cool gun for the prairie as it has a fairly heavy varnish wood finish and duracoat metal - sweat proof . My reg gun has a wire shell catcher fitted and was a busy skeet gun till recently . (also duracoated) . both of mine will handle down to 5/8 target loads - I can go really lite ! Don't know what your guns affliction was , but if you've figured it out , you can shoot piles thru it and no worries !

bbrown
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

Neat lineup! What ended up being wrong with the gun? It sure is nice to be able to compare to see what is different.

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:13 am  Reply with quote

BMC, where you been hiding? Missed your Garden and Guns photos of great meals and trips. Those 11-48's jetworthy?? Laughing Gil
Paperhulls
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:37 am  Reply with quote

Pardon if this is a dumb post, but the traveling permit. Is it for going out of the country? I know a lot of folks go to Mexico and South America.
bmc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

You got it paperhull.
Paperhulls
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

Cool. I thought for a minute you were in New Jersey lol.
the_honest_pintail
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

Great pictures! bmc where about are you headed with the guns?