16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Kirby the Gunsmith
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:56 am  Reply with quote

I got a call yesterday that I had given up hope of ever receiving. Kirby called to say my wayward 16 ga Ringneck barrels were ready to ship. This whole fiasco started in 2009 when I purchase a new 16 ga Ringneck only to discover the fixed chokes were both .007" constriction. I decided to have screw in chokes installed by a popular gunsmith from the SGW forum, received the gun back promptly and took it out to shoot some skeet. The first day I shot it, I started missing a lot with the left barrel and looking down the bore looked like I had something obstructing the bore. Further inspection revealed a thumb sized piece of the Carlson choke skirt missing and the barrel bulged. I called and sent it back where the popular gunsmith removed the destroyed choke tube, partially removed the bulge and fitted a new choke. I shot it a couple of times after I got it back, but didn't trust the repair.

I had work done by Kirby in the past, so called him in 2010 and he said he could cut the barrels behind the damage and fit choke tubes of his design. Off the barrels went to Kirby 8 years ago. Many ignored calls and police inquiries later, I got the call they were done. My check goes out today and I would expect the barrels to arrive next week possibly. When I get them in, I'll report on how the look and shoot. I think I'll go buy a lottery ticket today, my luck must be changing.

Builder
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:06 am  Reply with quote

Maybe you should wait 8 years to pay him?

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

I was thinking much the same...plus apprehension about sending the check without having barrels in hand.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:19 am  Reply with quote

8 yrs? Seriously?

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:51 am  Reply with quote

A VERY meticulous craftsman Shocked Wow! Is your nickname Job?

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:46 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
A VERY meticulous craftsman Shocked Wow! Is your nickname Job?

Only if Job would have called the Arnold, MO police department to check on whether he was still alive and in the gunsmithing business. In defense of my stupidity, Kirby had done several jobs of opening fixed chokes and lengthening forcing cones for me before the Ringneck fiasco. Although a little on the slow side, he's the only smith who hit my requested choke diameter numbers exactly every time, and his bore finish was beautifully smooth and shiny. I now only deal with Briley for barrel work; reliably consistent on turnaround time (neither slow nor quick), flawless work, and moderately expensive. What more could one ask for?

old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

I have always used Kirk Merrington for barrel work and have been happy with his work. One time I used Bailey as Kirk recommended them as he was backlogged and they did well.

old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

Deleted duplicate

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

What was his excuse for an eight year turnaround on those barrels? If he had even a semblance of a conscience, he would not accept payment. JMHO

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

XXX

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
What was his excuse for an eight year turnaround on those barrels? If he had even a semblance of a conscience, he would not accept payment. JMHO

It was a very long and involved "my wife she and my dog it" recitation. When I was in the Navy I used to tell the men in my command that you never have to make excuses for success. Kirby's phone call involved a lot of excuses.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:01 am  Reply with quote

I would send him half the check - literally torn in half and un-cashable as is - and tell him the other half would arrive when i had the barrels in my hands.

I had non-response, compliance and timing issues with a different gunsmith a few years back. After several emails not responded to, there was the one "are you still in business? I'd rather we have this discussion between us than in the public internet forum where I found out about you." That started him moving. But, when he was jerking around on shipping my completed, and paid-for, gun back to my agent (another gunsmith who'd agreed to receive it for a touch of work while I was out of the country), I had to call him.
Me: "Hi. I'm calling to ask about whether you've shipped my gun."
Smith: "Yup. On its way."
Me: "What's the tracking number?"
Smith: "hummita hummita shuffling papers on the desk."
Me: [silently waiting]
Smith: "I have it here somewhere - can I get back to you on this?"
Me: "I'm calling from Germany. I can wait."
Smith: [dead silence]

He ultimately shipped it, having lied to me in the conversation above. That was another entirely different adventure.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

I got my barrels today and must admit Kirby's workmanship is fantastic even if the wait time was not. I would like to post some pictures, but Imgur swallowed all my pictures and posted a notice that it's time for us to part company. Photobucket I can log onto and see my photos, but can't get them to work on any forum. The barrels have been cut to 26" to eliminate the previously botched choke installation, and thinwall Teague style chokes installed. The chokes provided are SK, IC, LMod, Mod and IMod. The bores have been matched at .668" on both bores. The forcing cones lengthened and the entire bore choke finish is as smooth and shiny as any bores I've ever seen. The choke skirts have just the smallest completely concentric circle of barrel visible where they meet the bore. All dimensions check out great. If it wasn't for the 8 year wait, I'd recommend Kirby to anyone wanting a first class job. I hope to get out for a couple of rounds of skeet with the gun tomorrow, and might just use it for quail when I put my dogs on birds Tuesday morning to be sure the boys haven't forgotten they're bird dogs.

Figured out where my Imgur account was hiding.

The choke tubes and the tapered choke wrench for the Teague style chokes

A choke tube, threaded on the muzzle end

The 26" barrels don't look out of place on the Ringneck

The tubes have a slightly tapered seat for the wrench and that portion of the tube extends slightly beyond the muzzle so it doesn't cause the very close tolerance tubes to bind in the barrel