16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Upland hunting boots
duckdup
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

I'm looking for some new upland boots and wonder what brand and style are best for carrying a SxS 16ga all day. Have been using New Balance hikers for both hiking & hunting. Thinking something more flexible. What works for you?

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

In recent years, boots from Salomon and The North Face have cured me of buying from traditional hunting boot companies. Double that when the snow flies, especially the North Face winter products.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

Himalayan blackberry and Salmonberry briars here tear up boots so my new $25 Tundra Hunting Boots from Big 5 feel great, have waterproof membrane and rugged sole and will last just as long as my previous $200 pair: one season.

B.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:45 am  Reply with quote

I asked this question a few months back.......and I am still no closer to buying a pair now than I was when I asked the question.

I have hesitated because most of the boots I am most interested in have to be bought online, because I can't find a decent outfitter in my area that has the good stuff to actually look at and handle.

I want to look into both boot brands that Wyochukar has mentioned. The local Cabela's(1.5 miles from where I live) doesn't even stock the boots that Cabela's have and were suggested to me.

I gotta get the heck out of CT.

I am trying to get away from the 'normal' hunting boots and want something light. I was in St. Louis recently and was able to look at Danners, which looked pretty good.

Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:54 am  Reply with quote

I am on my second pair of Danner Sharptail boots. Had first pair for about 3-4 seasons. Light, have held up pretty well.
Had a pair of kangaroo from Cabelas, very light weight, didn't make it through one season.

I am walking in mostly grass, wetlands, uplands and brushy timber type habitat.
For big game, I wear the Meindel (?) boot. love em.
Cheesy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Most comfortable pair of boots I’d owned were Danner Pronghorns. Like a tennis shoe. But the original the toe wore out from my Kansas pheasant hunts. Bought the next generation with the rubber toe caps. They weren’t as comfortable, and leaked in short order. Many forums say you need to stick to USA made Danner’s. They have a Grouse Hubter that looks good to me, but I’m not in need right now. Have a pair of USA made Danner’s that are good and have on order a pair of Russel’s.

Brother in law has been wearing Kennetrek and liking them.

I’ve also looked at the Meindk Ultralight, but again, not in the market right now.

For me, a boot must be minimum 8” tall and gusseted tongue to keep the weed debris out of my socks.
bobski
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:08 am  Reply with quote

hey cheesy. duckup was the OP on this topic so im sure doesn't mind this quick plug. thought maybe youd like to know this.

duckup canceled coming to the 16ga.com shoot and has a free ticket. you want it?
the shoot is in oct over near ava mo. be glad to have ya. we all been trying to get you thru pm/email but never heard from you. let us know.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
Gran16
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

I got a pair of Danner vitals to try this year and so far so good. Haven’t done much with them yet but time will tell I guess. I wear danners for my work and they always seem to last longer and be more comfortable than other brands ive tried so far.
DanLee
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

For most woods hunting here in Virginia I opt for Bean's Maine Hunting Shoe and two pair of socks. I'd probably go with a tougher sole if I were spending much time in rocky areas.
Ackley
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

I am on season 12 with my Filson Uplander’s and love them.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Himalayan blackberry and Salmonberry briars here tear up boots so my new $25 Tundra Hunting Boots from Big 5 feel great, have waterproof membrane and rugged sole and will last just as long as my previous $200 pair: one season.

B.

Brewster, go get a container of Boot Guard. It's basically bed liner for boots. I have rescued the toe area of many boots with the stuff. Boot Barn sells it and it only costs about $10.

scraggley
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:57 am  Reply with quote

About 15 years ago while attending the Orvis Game fair At Sandanona in Millbrook NY I spotted a display of boot from the Russell Moccasin Co. They had a great display of there boots and I was able to handle and even try on a couple that struck my fancy. I decided to order a pair and the salesperson measured my feet with appropriate heavy socks. There measuring process is quite complete and measures not only the length of foot but also width of foot and ankle. The boots I ordered were McIntosh Birdshooters with self cleaning soles. Turned out that the salesman who measured me up was the owner of Russell. Also found out that one of my feet was a size 8 1/2 and the other a 9 1/2. The boots arrived in about a month. I attended that same Orvis Fair last weekend and the Russell outfit was there offering the same service. A footnote, about 5 years ago while my original boots were still wearable (I use them off pavement mostly), I ordered another pair of the same. They keep your size data on file for a reported 10 years. A did get a call from a worker there when they started to build my second pair , to verify that I di indeed have 2 different sized feet. Not for everyone but a great product that fit like glove and have given me great service! Art

dilly
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:39 am  Reply with quote

Glad to hear the above scraggly. I was in Wisconsin last week and broke away to drive up to Berlin and order a pair of Russell Moccasin boots myself. They were a “bucket list” item for me. I went with the prickly pear birdshooters with an extra 2” of height. I’m very excited to get them in 5 months.

I am interested in feedback from others who have Russells. I know not everyone is 100% happy...I hope I am.

Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

A dog handler I know who runs a big string of Setters in SW Georgia wild bird plantation county walks over 15 miles a day during the season. He's tried them all. The best he has used are the LLBean Boa system closure boots. He wears out a pair a season, but claims they hold up better than anything he has used. Seamless, the briars don't eat them like they do the seamed boots. I like LeChameau Chasseurs for wet area work and Russell boots for upland.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

Duckdup,

I recommend the LL Bean Grouse Boots and I still wear my old Green Browning Grouse boots also. I also have a good pair of Russell Grouse boots.

LL Bean guarantees their boots, light, comfortable, water proof and log lasting, they are great stuff for upland hunting.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers