16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hunting vest
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Here are a couple of photos of the game bag I customized. Yes, two big male sage grouse and a water bottle actually fit inside...barely!

[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55088_1000x667/] [/URL]]
[/[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55089_1000x667/] [/URL]]

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:58 am  Reply with quote

The State of Washington requires 400 sq. in. of blaze orange for upland game hunting, which plays havoc with nice vest concepts. After some very persuasive encouragement from the local DFW officer I have given up on my nice strap vest and now I simply use the standard, and very unsatisfying orange hunting vest.

Ruffed grouse are not considered to be upland game in Washington, so grouse hunters are exempt from the requirement. However grouse season coincides with bear season, and a bear hunter once gave me good reason to wear full a orange vest then as well.

B.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Luckily, I can wear an orange shirt with my bag and it shows if that becomes an issue. For your strap vest problem there are two workable solutions. The easy route is to wear a cheap orange mesh universal "safety vest" over it. Option two is to add orange to the strap vest. Two methods come to mind: stitch orange panels where needed, or stitch velcro where matching orange velcro backed fabric panels, can be placed...then removed for duck and dove hunting.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:29 am  Reply with quote

I wear an old style canvas vest I bought off an Orvis clearance rack years ago. I carry shells, my license and a pair of gloves, and hopefully a bird or two on the way back. The rest stays in the truck!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
mtbirder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
I wear an old style canvas vest I bought off an Orvis clearance rack years ago. I carry shells, my license and a pair of gloves, and hopefully a bird or two on the way back. The rest stays in the truck!

You flatlands hunters need to get a little further away your shiny 2018 Sierra Denali HD's once in awhile............. Very Happy
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:19 am  Reply with quote

Not every hunter here drives fancy rigs! Most of us, especially 16ga fans, live a more simple life and don't spend money on excessive gear that we don't need. I still hunt with a vest that I bought 20 years ago because it does what I need. Hunting here may not get us miles away from the nearest road because most of the Kansas prairie has roads laid out in mile sections.
If I can make a trip someday to hunt Montana like I would love to do I will outfit myself for the trip. My only out of state hunts have been bear hunts that require totally different gear. Riding horseback following hounds or sitting in a tree stand over a bear bait calls for different gear.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:50 am  Reply with quote

mtbirder wrote:
You flatlands hunters need to get a little further away your shiny 2018 Sierra Denali HD's once in awhile............. Very Happy

The only 2018 Denali's I see where I hunt have out of state plates Very Happy !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have a Ma Gurt Boyle Grouse Vest, the original Columbia Grouse Vest. Has all the pockets, and bird carrying pockets I need, along with a water bottle slot.

I also have an old Remington light vest I really like, I use to use a strap vest but like the Columbia Grouse vest better.

I also have the original Browning Gore-Tex Grouse Jacket, one of my favorites for rainy weather Grouse hunting.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Columbia Grouse Vest

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55120_600x400/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers