16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Mid West Mosquitos
ROMAC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:18 am  Reply with quote

Don't underestimate the mosquitos.

I just got over West Nile virus and encephalitis from the buggers. Darn near killed me. The only good thing from it is now I'm immune and I lost 30 pounds in the hospital.

I was told one out of 500 infected bites results in the virus, then one out of 150 with the virus get complications like meningitis, encephalitis, paralysis, amnesia, organ failure, blindness, coma etc.... It is the brain swelling that messes you up. Potentially permanently.

Its' no joke. A guy in New Jersey just died last Friday. People that mean well start telling you the worst stories they ever heard about how fugged up people they knew or read about got from it. Thank God I just thought I'd get better after a while, I never realized how serious it was in the beginning.

Spray some bug juice on before you go out there!!
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:27 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning, Romac, and glad you got through it. A friend in my town had the same terrible experience late this summer.
jaksny
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Brewster, one morning after work (night shift at the county jail) I went out to Fish creek and caught 13 WILD browns in 50 minutes. Eventually I just called it a trip and walked back to the car. All those fish lived to see another day, and hopefully didn't wise up to what a prince nymph really is.

Romac, terribly unfortunate situation you were in. I don't take mosquitos lightly, I hate them with every cell in my body.

More fly rods than a guy should have.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Romac,
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Glad you are recovered. A little to close to home for me. we are not very far apart.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

a tale of 2 cities >>> we live 25mis south of lake Ontario . Our cabin is 25mis north if PA . We've had near record dry all summer till late here . The cabin has been afflicted with all that rain that Pittsburgh has had all yr . Almost no mosquitoes in either area . We are also on a stream/river in our backyard , but no bugs . I can see that here , but do not understand how we can be out all day in the southern tier and not much of anything ... PC/Dave , that way down your way ??

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:56 am  Reply with quote

Mt buddies camp in Allegheny county is the same way no bugs. You go to my camp in St. Lawrence county and the mosquitos and deer flies will carry you away.