16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Chambermates
Coastie Chief
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:12 am  Reply with quote

I just purchased a set og 16 Ga. chambermates to shoot 28's through my NID. Has anyone used them? Comments?
Mike.
Scolari
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:55 am  Reply with quote

I bought a pair from Cabellas. They weren't the ones that Browning sells, they were the ones with the slit down the side. They fit tight in the chamber and were difficult to get out. The auto ejectors on my Browning wouldn't kich them out. The plastic from the fired 20 ga hull was pushed into the slit in the gauge reducer and made it a job getting the hull out of the steel tube. I threw them away. I think if I bought any new ones, I would buy the Browning solid style.
rayb
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:39 am  Reply with quote

bought a set from Cabela/s, for 16 ga gun shooting 20 ga shell. They are the split kind. work very well in my Win Model 24, never tried them in anything else. Others elsewhere have said they couldn't get theirs to work..

I guess it depends on the individual gun

Scolari, if you still have the 16/28 ones i'll buy them fromyou..
but i understand that you threw them away..

rayb

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:16 am  Reply with quote

Question rayb,
In your Win. 24 what happens to the chambermate after a shot ? Is it kicked out by the spring-loaded extractor affair found on 24's. How do they pattern, coming out of the smaller tube, going into the larger bore and then into the choke restriction? I ain't knockin them just wanting to know how they do. Best -B-
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

Remember that all chamber length gauge reducing tubes are not the real Chambermates brand made by Seminole Gunworks of Florida. Those are the best, though somewhat pricey. I have a set that reduces my 16 gauge down to 28 gauge and they work great. They have a built in extractor on them that works in conjunction w/ your gun's extractor/ejector. They are held in place by an O ring. The only draw back is that they will work better w/ good ammo such as Winchester AA or Remington STS. Anything else and they will sometimes stick in the Chambermate and the whole thing has to be removed to get the shell out. They have no "split" on them anywhere and seem to be very well made. I have used them for many rounds of skeet shooting and they really smash the targets.
XVI

rayb
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Captain Billy wrote:
Question rayb,
In your Win. 24 what happens to the chambermate after a shot ? Is it kicked out by the spring-loaded extractor affair found on 24's. How do they pattern, coming out of the smaller tube, going into the larger bore and then into the choke restriction? I ain't knockin them just wanting to know how they do. Best -B-

Greetings Captain Billy...

I hope you are enjoying your model 24 as much as i am min, i like it very much..

Well let's be sure you understand what i have.. I do NOT have the device described by XVI in his post. What i have appears to be sheet spring steel, a cylinder that wraps areound the 20 ga shell, is split lengthwise 100% of its length, with a rim of sorts so that is resembles a 16 ga shell with the innards drilled out , then split.

How does it work IN MY GUN ??.. My Model 24 has extractors, not ejectors with the usual double triggers.

Loading the shell into the device is no problem, i can do it one handed. chamber fit in my gun is snug but don't have to force it.

So after i shoot it, i break open the gun and just take the assembly out of the chamber, They are extracted enough so that removal is not a problem ,

Removing the expended 20 gage shell from the decice is done with 1 finger, just push it out and replace with another and reload.

How do they pattern? The first time i shot it at 16 yard trap with the inserts i used 2 3/4 inch promotional #6 shot federal on sale special 3.39 a box 2 3/4 inch shells. Broke 18 of 25, which is about normal for me.

I don't think there is any problem with the choking system, just the shooter. I have not tried it on a pattern board. I can say that if i do things right , it will pulverize the birds with that shell...

So i've also got some 7 1/2 shot 20 ga loads that i will try after i shoot up the 6's...

Remember that this is in my gun.. sounds like your may be later manufacture with ejectors.. mine is nothing special, no $2,000 collector special, with lots of $$ work, etc, Just a normally used gun that wasn't abused. I bought it with a fair amount of honest wear, clean barrels, slightly worn receiver bluing, padded butt plate added and getting hard, plain wood..

It all works in my gun, your results certainly may vary..

It's sure worth a try for that day you are at the range, things are going well and you want to keep shooting but are out of ammo and of course the shop has no 16 gage shells..

what do you have to loose? $40.00 if it doesn't work part of which you can recoup cause i'll buy them off you if you don't want them...at a reasonable price Smile

i suggest you give them a try

rayb

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:32 pm  Reply with quote

rayb
Thanks for the education on this little item. Now I understand whats going on with this(its hell being Irish sometimes!!) This insert is basically a sleeve you shove a shell into and the whole thing goes into the chamber of your gun.
I don't own a Win. 24 , I have nothing but Ithacas. Now I have a pal I take cottontail huntin 8-10 times a yr. that is mod. 24 crazy and shoots it well. It seems I recall a spring loaded extractor affair in the 24's that you have to keep lubricated. Am I dreaming this or what! I have run into guys who claim shells stick in the 24's but I don't see this pal of mine having any issues with that sorta stuff. Have you ever had problems with spent shells hanging up in your 24? Kinda got off course here with my questions on the 24's but the gun interests me. They are basic, no frills good old American made SxS and to me swing well. I do a great deal of chamber,forcing cone and choke work and have noticed that the older 24's chambers seem to run a bit short of 2 3/4", guess back then they wern't sure what was going to happen with shotshells.
If you ever get a chance to pattern your gun with the chamber devise let me know how that comes out, it just interests the hell out of me to know. Thanks again for your info and explanation. Best -BILLY-
Coastie Chief
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:02 am  Reply with quote

XVIgauge,
Thanks for the info. I ordered the Seminole Gun Works Chamber Mates, in 16 Ga to shoot 28's. Got them off EBay for $181.00 and am looking forward to trying them out. I load 28 and have a pile of AA and STS hulls so that should not be a problem. I'm assuming I'll be in a "No Choke" situation since the tubes have no choke and the shot column won't fit the 16 bore. Might work for in close Quail though.I killed a bunch of Quail in FLA. with a 20 Ga. that had no choke at all. That gun(a 17 Remington) was murder on Quail over dogs.
Take Care,
Mike.
rayb
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:39 am  Reply with quote

Captain Billy wrote:
rayb
Thanks for the education on this little item. ...This insert is basically a sleeve you shove a shell into and the whole thing goes into the chamber of your gun.

Yes sir, that it exactly

I don't own a Win. 24 ,

Sorry to hear that, i sure do like mine

It seems I recall a spring loaded extractor affair in the 24's that you have to keep lubricated. Am I dreaming this or what! I have run into guys who claim shells stick in the 24's but I don't see this pal of mine having any issues with that sorta stuff. Have you ever had problems with spent shells hanging up in your 24?

I've had no extraction problems, either with or without the inserts

Kinda got off course here with my questions on the 24's but the gun interests me. They are basic, no frills good old American made SxS and to me swing well.

My idea exactly, I think mine is my "model 21", or as close to one as i'll ever own... Laughing

If you ever get a chance to pattern your gun with the chamber devise let me know how that comes out, it just interests the hell out of me to know.

OK, that a deal, besides i should have anyway...but was having too much fun shooting it..

Thanks again for your info and explanation. Best -BILLY-

rayb

Ray Brady
White Deer, Texas

Steve Smith
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:52 am  Reply with quote

The split down the side is used by some companies (GaugeMate, for one) for a reduction of one gauge -- 16-20, for example. The spring effect keeps the insert in the chamber. When it drops two gauges, some companies make the inserts bigger, and others use the O ring to get the right friction between chamber and insert, which also keeps the weight down. I have used GaugeMates and just got a set in for testing of the Gold series, which stay in the gun and allow your ejectors and extractors to work. If you have a hard time getting the insert in and out, put a little grease very lightly on the outside of the insert; it's what the company suggests. The stay-in-the-gun sort allow for easier shooting like at clays or five-stand; you don't have everyone standing around waiting for you to get reloaded. In hunting it probably doesn't make any difference. The removable type like Browning's or the GaugeMate Silver series are a lot cheaper, about one quarter the price of the other sort.

I have used these for 16 down to 20 when I travel; sometimes -- read that "most of the time" -- it's hard to get 16-gauge shells, so I just shoot 20s if I run out of 16s. I have patterned these with a 16 and used the 20, 28, and .410 inserts and the patterns are indistinguishable from the 16-gauge patterns (used 7/8 ounce 16, 7/8 ounce 20, 3/4 ounce 28, and 1/2 ounce .410. Shot the patterns at 20 yards and just eyeballed them). I assume penetration is about the same as I kill those few, ill-fated, star-crossed birds I happen to hit.

SS

Coastie Chief
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

If you're the Steve Smith I think you are then I've been reading your stuff for a while(20+ years) and you've connected on your share of birds. Don't under estimate yourself(I understand your modesty though, Dad taught me not to brag about the bird dog BEFORE you go hunting). Sometimes the birds get the best of us and it seems as though they are as memorable as the ones that go home with us. Maybe more, I know I've had my share of grouse fool me and lets not even talk about old educated pheasants!
Happy Hunting(my season starts with Mountain Quail on Sep. 1st)!!!!!
Mike
Steve Smith
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:24 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, Chief -- I thought my mother was the only one who hung in there that long. Hope you have a good season. My guess is it's a little warm in your part of the country on September 1.

Coastie Chief
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:51 pm  Reply with quote

Steve,
Good writing is with us forever and like all great writers yours seems to be better each time I reread it.
As for the WX here, warm it is on the opener, the rains come later and can be relentless.......in Sep. I hunt early and late and fish for Cutthroats in between. Achieved my dream day 2 years ago, a brace of Grouse with the 16 and a brace of Cutthroats with the 4WT, in the same day. With my then 8 year old son present to witness and enjoy. He got some Cutts that day too.
What activity can Kings and Presidents participate in that could be better than that!
Mike
Steve Smith
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:18 am  Reply with quote

I hunted quail in Georgia one time with an old retired Army officer, Col. Jerry Graham. He was spending his retirement guiding quail hunters, and he had something like 31 or 32 bird dogs, but his favorite was Jack.

One day, after a good shoot, we were having a drink and Jerry was talking about birds and dogs and guns, and he said, "If I were a millionaire, tomorrow, I'd take old Jack and we'd go hunt some quail. I'm not a millionaire, but tomorrow I'm going to take old Jack and go hunt some quail."

Sounds like your day.

Coastie Chief
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

I've always maintained that it doesn't take much to make a man feel rich. It also seldom involves money.
I've got a wonderful wife, six kids, a few nice guns and a baby Springer. Nice house and a decent truck, a steady job. I AM a rich man.
Mike