16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  More about boots
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:13 am  Reply with quote

I have looked at so many boots, wow are there a lot of choices.

I really like the looks of the Salomon and Keen. The Keen mostly because I wear their boots almost everyday of the year and have never had any problem with them.....but the Salomon has my interest for sure.

So my last question is about height. Many of these boots are mid-height 6" maybe a bit more. Does anyone have problems with weed seeds and other small going inside these boots. All my previous upland boots have been about 9" tall.

I like the idea of the shorter boot, but......

goathoof
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 am  Reply with quote

You would be pulling out all kinds of vegetation from your socks after a trip around here with 6" high boots. I remember you like the sand hills, and the prickly pear would be something to consider about your boots, also.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:49 am  Reply with quote

The Sand Hills for the most part won't challenge the mid-high boots. There are prickly pear and sand spurs but that really isn't a huge concern. Some of the set aside fields, pivot corners and the like in the other areas that I hunt are what I am concerned about.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

I wear Propper military style fatigue trousers and blouse them around the tops of the boots to keep out weeds and seeds. On sloppy weather days, I wear my Muck boots with the pants cuff under my outer socks and inside the boots. I always put on my Filson single or double tin chaps over the Mucks depending on how cold it is to again keep out the weeds and seeds. I hate itchy seeds and weed trash getting in my socks.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

Me too!!

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

I have some Salomon Chalten WP boots and no trouble with weed seeds. I think they are 7" tall though. I am expecting an new pair of North Face boots any day now and will report back on those. I wore a set of 5" boots today and walked through miles of sage and cheatgrass with no undesirables entering the boots. I guess it all depends on how low your pant cuffs ride.

There is the option of wearing "dust gaiters" as well. They're kind of like snow gaiters but shorter and more breathable, their job is basically to keep pine needles, weed seeds, etc. out of boots.

hiplainsdrifter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

I wear gaiters with my boots if in brushy/seedy country. It does a BETTER job of keeping cheat grass, needle and thread, etc. out than a high top boot. More importantly, that setup is lighter and more flexible. Also much drier in deeper snow. If in shorter native grass I will usually go no gaiters. Try some Solomons on if you can. In my experience all of their footwear fits pretty close, I am an 11.5 in a pair of street shoes, two pairs of trail shoes, hiking boots, and snow boots. The snow boots are the roomiest of the bunch.