16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  RST 1oz #5 shot and South Dakota Phez
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

last dollar,
I agree in both the 16 L.C. Smith and the LeFever the shells work great, if you do your job.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
T-Bird
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to all that responded. I'm leaving in 12 days and I'm taking her!
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:36 am  Reply with quote

I have a box of 16 ga. RST 4's that came along with my F&F choked Parker. I have half a notion to take both after a rooster sometime this season. Twisted Evil
T-Bird
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, I used #4 on them several years ago out of a 12 ga. I shot 1 3/8 oz ( to get the pellet count up)- killed even the going dead away roosters with authority. This was hunting ditches with no dogs. Believe it or not, I didn't notice the recoil which I'm sure was considerable. Had no desire to "pattern" these before the trip, but they must have patterned well 'cause I worked on'em!
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

T-Bird wrote:
Dave, I used #4 on them several years ago out of a 12 ga. I shot 1 3/8 oz ( to get the pellet count up)- killed even the going dead away roosters with authority. This was hunting ditches with no dogs. Believe it or not, I didn't notice the recoil which I'm sure was considerable. Had no desire to "pattern" these before the trip, but they must have patterned well 'cause I worked on'em!

That's good to know T-Bird! The pellet count on these 1 oz. RST 4's is probably terrible, but this old Parker has two tight full chokes, so I'll ride the bird out a little! It won't be a serious hunt, just some state land DNR birds.
T-Bird
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:28 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, IIRC, it takes 1 3/8 oz to get 200 pellets in #4. You might be ok if the chokes are tight tho.
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:32 am  Reply with quote

Tbird, Just returned from a pheasant hunting trip. the RST 6's in my 1928 Elsie worked just fine on a couple roosters. They were just as dead as the ones I got with my Marlin 90 with vintage Winchester paper 1 1/8oz 6's and with my new sweet 16 A5 with current Federal 1 1/8 6's. But using the Elsie just seems to put a bigger smile on my face. Have a great trip.

T-Bird
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

Well, after all the anticipation, I'm not going. There were 4 of us supposed to leave tomorrow. 1 of had a heart attack last week and is stable but currently hospitalized, another dropped out when he woke up with "flu-like" symptoms this AM. The 3rd guy beside me, has just recovered from an infection from prostate biopsy after 4 weeks of IV antibiotics, he says he is fine, but if it's only 2 of us, we're gonna wait till next year. I guess at this age (mid 60's) nobody is guaranteed anything. Will have to wait till next year for my report on my Elsie and #5 RST on phez. Crying or Very sad
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about all the health issues; hope everyone turns out OK. I'm in SD for a 6 day hunt; we hit the state about 1:30PM today and road hunted to our destination. We saw one shootable bird, and 1oz of 6's grassed it just fine from my 16ga Fox A grade. We'll see how it all does on the rest of the trip.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
T-Bird
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:57 am  Reply with quote

Good for y'all Fin! good luck!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

F2F,

Have a great time, we have been having lots of rain here in Pa, but the Grouse and Woodcock hunting has been exceptional the 1st week.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

F2F,

Have a great time, we have been having lots of rain here in Pa, but the Grouse and Woodcock hunting has been exceptional the 1st week.

Pine Creek/Dave
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55352_800x600/] [/URL]

Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
F2F,

Pine Creek/Dave
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55352_800x600/] [/URL]

Happy to hear grouse are up in PA. Last I read they were fearful West Nile was punishing the population. I know they are finding West Nile in U.P. of Michigan. It was spotty in U.P. this year, or at least where I hunt.

T-Bird,
Sorry to hear your hunt was postponed and I can empathize with your plight. My 6 week stay in the U.P. was interrupted three times by visits home to deal with health issues. The last drive home I just decided to stay here and hunt pheasant rather than drive back north for the final week of the October. Got a few roosters for my efforts.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago,

The WNV scare is still going on, and in some places it may actually be a reality, however at this time there is no scientific proof. Here on the northern tier in Potter/Tioga County, our Grouse population has not been effected at all. This years young Grouse have the numbers actually increasing over all. Real nice Grouse hunting here right now.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Young female Grouse on our drive way to the Log Cabin

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55364_800x600/] [/URL]

T-Bird
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, we don't have grouse here, look like big quail. Only grouse I've ever seen, was hiking the Appalachian trail in No Carolina when I was in college ( I assume the were grouse, looked like big quail)