16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  DU Banquet
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

Just got home from working my local DU Banquet. We had a max capacity turnout at our new location. We used a local place called the Cedar tree Barn just a few miles south of Parsons,Ks. We started out with thirty sponsors filling a large part of the facility and with their groups that they brought and additional people from the area we filled the place with 180 people plus the volunteers working the event.
The DU banquet gun the year, The Browning Sweet Sixteen was loved by many and was finally won by a lady who really loved the gun and got very excited to win a sixteen!
Smile

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
mtbirder
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:11 am  Reply with quote

DU does good work.
However....
E Donnall Thomas was a staunch DU man. I'm sure some folks on here have read some of his work. He is also a staunch public lands and access man. Here in MT, a megabucks landowner, James Cox Kennedy - also a major donor to DU - has been instrumental in the push to derail MT's stream access laws. One of the best stream access statutes in the USA.
Thomas spoke out on this issue, including about Kennedy's involvement.
DU decided to cut ties with Thomas.
To me, that action gave a strong message about DU's priorities and, for lack of a better term, morals.
It seems that a lot of sportsmen's orgs - RMEF, PF, etc. have kinda' gone the corporate route.
More of a self serving, than sportmen's serving agenda..............
Just one sportman's (who has belonged and still does belong to many org's) opinion and I guess rant.
It is hunting season, back to my priorities...........................
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

I was not aware of those happenings with Mr. Thomas. I am familiar with hois work and his writing. Even met him several years back at the Proffesional Bowhunters Society convention in St; Louis(2000). Hearing the issues with DU does bring concern as I am also a member of Pheasants Forever and I spend more time hunting pheasants than waterfowl and probably always will.
DU raises a lot of money each year in donations and pays staff very well. While those of use that do volunteer work get dinner and a years membership for our efforts. Makes me wonder about their priorities.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
mtbirder
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Google the topic Byron, lots of info out there about the issue.
I'm glad I could provide info that wasn't known but may be useful or informative to another sportsman.
So much of what we bloviate about on "social media" is of no real use or consequence.
Patting ourselves on the back with dead bird and fancy 16 gauge pics, gun for sale, choke configurations, me poking fun at Bobski - mundane entertainment (at best?).
I wish that Social media was instead named "Social Responsibility Media".
Then, of course, hardly anyone would take part................
NY16ga
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:42 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this, mtbirder. I had no idea. Growing up in FL hunting ducks on the big lake, DU was the first conservation org i was really exposed to and their track record speaks for itself. As much as I respect the amazing work that they've done though, public land issues are pretty damned important to me (and I'm a Donnall Thomas fan too) I hope they rethink that position going forward, especially when there's such great work and collaboration now on public land issues by Backcountry Hunters & Anglers and other similar orgs. Stream access gets complicated in some states (see some of the recent conflict in Louisiana around this involving duck hunters) so i think we'll need orgs like DU to work together with all of the other agencies and groups involved.