16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Gun Show Vendors!
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Now and then we stop by gun shows to snoop around and look for smart deals, and we occasionally find some. But some of these these vendors!

This weekend we were on the lookout for a very standard item and found one, a used hunting rifle currently in volume production (not 16 ga, sorry) but it was priced $50 OVER list price for an commonly available identical NEW item!! This includes taxes, shipping, FFL fees etc.

Back in the day I might have entered the fray, but nowadays I don't relish going in with a bid hundreds of dollars under asking just to get in the ballpark, and then being given the cold shoulder like I'm some kind of grifter. Maybe its just me, but what is with these guys?

B.
studdog
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:57 am  Reply with quote

I've found lots of goofball vendors nd junk for sale at most gun shows. Hardly worth going IMO>

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:53 am  Reply with quote

always seem to find ODD stuff (and vendors) at shows . some are fun to peruse , others , well ... almost moved to FLA a few yrs ago . while visiting , damn if they didn't have a show right around the corner . Not a horribly bad show for being fairly small . Found out 1 vendor was from about 5 miles from where I grew up , and another about 5 miles from where we live now . One shelf had a couple muzzleloaders , and the civil war era caplock 16 followed me home . Both of us have even shot it !! Have never seen anything similar here , and I'll bet that vendor down there couldn't dream he would have sold that gun !

bobski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:38 am  Reply with quote

the internet has destroyed any chance of finding a good gun anywhere at a show. all of a sudden everyones gun is worth whatever gun(broken).com says one sold for.
cant blame the vendors totally, private sales scalp just as well.
was a time when gun shows were for (people) selling guns bypassing dealers.
not so....gun show promotors like the money dealers have for tables and ...well, the rest is history.
dealers have taken over the gun show industry, unless one unsuspecting seller gets a table.
and even before the show opens, vendors swoop in and buy his great deals, jack it up and put it on their own table.
result? you rarily see good guns at good prices.
i stopped going to shows 20 years ago.
glad i did.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:08 am  Reply with quote

I have had very good luck at gun shows here in Cheyenne, WY. There is always some vendors charging too much, but there always seems to be some vendors with good deals. I enjoy going to them very much..

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
sneem
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Let the buyer beware. Applies at gun shows too.

df
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:48 am  Reply with quote

It truly amazes me what some people are asking for their stuff at gun shows. As some one mentioned above, full retail new gun price for a well used gun. Either they are stupid, or they think the buyers are.
I’ve reduced gun show attendance drastically.
Why waste gas parking fees and entrance fees to look at ridiculous prices and some non gun junk.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have to admit the high quality gun shows we use to have here in Pa seem to have vanished. The big gun show in Vagus seems to be doing ok however.

We use to have many good gun shows here in the Pittsburgh, Pa area that had some real nice American Classic double guns. I do believe the Net has had a big influence on these shows. They cost to much money now, to go in the door and the quality of the weapons has dropped off severely. The availability of the good classic American guns for sale here in our area, has dropped also. Lots of modern stuff, most of it pretty junky. Definitely not he same kind Gun Shows we had in the past.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
kennedy756
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:18 am  Reply with quote

I still go, beats staying home and cutting the grass, I really like national gun day in louisville ky, 1600 tables, always find odds and ends I need that the local gun shops don`t sell and though I may pay a little more then the internet, I can see what I am buying. Last spring found my 16ga citori lightning, in the box, under a pile of other guns in boxes. now my go to gun for trap.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Flues16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:15 am  Reply with quote

I still enjoy going to the shows in my area, but I rarely see any bargains or even something that I find interesting. About all I buy now are small items like reloading supplies or an out-of-print book.

Yes, some vendor's prices are too high, but I see the same thing on Gunbroker. You have to shop around to find the right price.

In recent years I think the increase in admission fees (now about $12) has cut down on the huge crowds that used to show up. There was also some panic buying during the Obama years. It used to be hard to walk around in a gun show after about 11 o'clock.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Flues 16,

Heck it's not a great deal I am looking for, just a good quality gun in great shape. Getting a great price is a big bonus most of the time!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers