16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  what's with cabelas'?
jrothWA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:26 pm  Reply with quote

was at Dundee store,Asker for Bismuth shot reloading.
Was told that management decided t stoop carrying bismujth and hevi-shot!
really knows their customers!
quinletc
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:08 am  Reply with quote

I can't really place my finger on it, but Cabela's is starting to irritate me. BassPro is not perfect by any means, but at least they have a store here in Memphis.

Sportsman's Warehouse is great, it's just not very convenient. I think I am going to have to start patronizing SW more, though. They have more reloading stuff than anyone, and their staff always try to be helpful.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:15 am  Reply with quote

I live 30 minutes from the Hamburg, PA Cabelas store. It is right on the interstate so lots of travelers stop in to stretch their legs and have a look around. I'm sure they stock the store with merchandise for those same people, not the hardcore types who frequent this forum.

I refuse their catalogs, email adverts and do not do business with Cabelas cause of the way they screwed me on an African safari. I would not be sad if they went bankrupt.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Many stores place a individual with little/no experience in hunting/reloading/guns in general in the sporting goods department?????Makes you wonder why the morons are there when they should be in the shoe or toy section where the least amount of harm could be done Twisted Evil
old16
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Hoa
I agree with you except for on thing. The people behing the counters that don't know anything are just trying to make a living. Its the decision making managment that are the morons and the higher up it goes the more dumbass decisions are made.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

Old 16--If they paid more they would get more qualified help--kinda a catch 22---Imagine asking a question in any sporting goods store and getting a decent response??!!!I am a dinosaur of times past when we sat in the REAL gunshops cussin' and discussin' all the worlds problems----everything from gas over 50 cents a gallon to why the postage stamp was raised again----And will they EVER bring out a new powder for us to try??????
quinletc
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

Actually, we have a great locally owned shop - Tommy Bronson's. If you're ever in Memphis, you should definitely go by there. Stuart Bronson is the third (maybe second) generation of the Bronson family to run this shop. Very good gunsmith works out of their basement.

However, they don't carry much, if any, reloading supplies. For that stuff, I got to Sportsman's Warehouse.
RWG
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Best to just mail order your bismuth shot from Precision reloading or BPI. Same price. No hassles with the store. JMHO. Russ
dogon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

Your on the internet now! So just start surfing until you find what your after and order it. Just watch the shipping charges and make sure you order enough to make it worth while. I just ordered a silvers recoil pad form a big name supplier, the pad was $30.00 the shipping was $9.95 I clicked enter/buy before I relized it.

Cabela's is changing more and more ever since the IPO and going public. They now march to the beat of the stockholder, not their customers!

I'll bet the margin on a coat is larger than on a bottle of shot. The coat being made in China and the shot closer to home.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

It is becoming a sorry state of affairs in the retail world. These stores barely pay help minimum wage. You are lucky if the employees know how to work the register much less know anything about the products. When I find an employee that does know something, I am truly amazed and wonder how long that person will stay there. Bass Pro opened a new store here in Denver a couple of seasons ago, so I checked it out. I visited their gun room and couldn't believe the prices that they wanted for the condition of the guns there. They wanted Like New prices for 80-85% guns and 2X the going price for guns in nice condition. Buyer Beware!! The store was spectacular but reeked of yuppyism. FWIW, Sportsman's Warehouse is more my speed.