16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Himalayan Snowcock and blue grouse adventures
Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:28 am  Reply with quote

What a marvelous read and when your articles get published please let us know. Rusty looks like he had a fine time way up there. Tough to beat that adventure. I had to look it up to discover the bird is a member of the pheasant family.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:33 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Wow, I was tired last night...I re-read this and fixed quite a few boo-boos. Oh well.

Riflemeister:
Were you hunting deer while I was there? I did hear someone shoot a deer (or something with a rifle) on Nov. 2 and thought "Poor bugger has to pack a deer out of here?" I think that drag was well beyond a mile though.

I do already have a solicitation for an article by a pretty well respected magazine. It just sort of happened when the editor needed to know Rusty's breed for a caption for a chukar article they are placing in the winter issue right now. I relayed that I had just returned the night before from this adventure and gave a very brief description. He said it might be worth printing up a story then asked what I had for photos, since they would be unable to source any elsewhere. I sent him a bundle to show the Art Director, and they gave me the green light! I'm pretty excited about it all.

The Canon M3 and special pouch I stitched to my bird bag just keep paying off. I was missing important photos before figuring out this combo. All but one day I used the 22mm pancake lens to save weight and space. Back at camp I used a Canon 6D with 17-40mm lens.

To everyone else:
Thank you for the kind responses...and actually reading such a lengthy post!

I drew a tag for the Ruby mountains back in the late 1980"s when I was stationed at NAS Fallon, NV. I'm currently 77 years old and would not attempt that country at this age. Back in those days I was running marathons and triathlons to stay in shape, but those days are just a memory now. I did several chukar hunts on my buddy's Idaho ranch this year and although the terrain was steep and rugged, it was nothing even close to your hunt. I find the hills getting a little steeper every season, but just feel blessed to still manage it.

Congratulations on getting your story published. I take most of the bird hunting magazines, but be sure to tell us when and where it will be published so I won't miss it

goathoof
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:24 am  Reply with quote

Thank you for the great story. After reading more about the birds from this site:
http://www.backpackingintherubymountains.info/himalayan/snowcock.html
I could imagine limiting your attempts so you could actually retrieve the downed bird. Our Steen's Mountains, just 40 miles south of me, could possibly support a population, if a decision was made for transplantation.
Rooster
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

Wonderful read with beautiful photos!
What spectacular country.
Thank you for sharing the trip!!

Bob

stubshaft
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
stubshaft
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:16 am  Reply with quote

WYO , as always , totally awesome pics and story . Have a hard time climbing a non tall cooley - can only imagine those MT pics from a plane 1!

P. Howard Clayton
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

Great story, excellent writing. Reminds me of the 'old' days of Jack O'Connor and the other great writers of that time. More and more, my adventures must be done vicariously.

Thanks for posting WYO.

Howard

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:15 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Look at the last photo. The previous two photos were taken on top of that! Snowcock is not an easy game. I have a few more, but it's bed time. I'll be driving in a snow storm tomorrow, darn it.

Are snowcock actually found near or at the top of peaks like that? Awesome. Would love to try an adventure like that.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

They are. The birds roost at the base of highest rock walls then fly down slope to feed in the morning. They feed their way back up. During midday they rest, dust, preen, etc. Then in the afternoon they fly back down to repeat the process before nightfall.

It's quite an adventure for sure. Eat your Wheaties and carry the lightest Lefever you own.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:18 am  Reply with quote

Thanks. I see they were introduced into Nevada in the 60's. I wouldn't mind if they introduced them into Oregon too. It doesn't seem like they would compete with native species. Big, beautiful birds. Wow. I might drop you a line someday if I decide to give it a go. Not too far from Oregon.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."