16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Deer processing
last dollar
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:56 am  Reply with quote

I am also an old mudgeon, but I have switched to boning in the field without field dressing...Faster, cleaner less work. I seldom have the opportunity to shoot a critter next to my trailer hitch anyhow...
P. Howard Clayton
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Point taken on the trailer hitch LD. In my youth I didn't give much thought to hunting the back woods, but time has moved me closer and closer to my truck.

Are you boning out the carcass, or quartering it? Removing the bones is not something that I saw in the video link. Perhaps the old eyes are going too. Smile
It always took me a good bit of time to bone out the meat, even in my home work shop with clean tables and proper equipment.

Howard

mtbirder
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:28 am  Reply with quote

I, for one, remove 1/4's from the carcass - hide on. Fillet off backstraps, neckmeat, etc. "Surgically" remove tenderloins.
Never have to see the guts.
All parts go in game bags, into the packframe and back to the truck, wherever that may be.............
I'm "only" 56, and still mean and stubborn enough to pack shit in my back. Very Happy
Out goes an entire antelope, head and all.....
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55570_600x400/] [/URL]
An elk, unfortunately takes a few more trips Laughing
last dollar
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Re: Boning in the field: Depends on the critter and where it is. All of our elk (2-3) a year are generally several miles back in the Mt Zirkle wilderness area. Pretty rough country. We bone these where they fell. Packing bones makes no sense. Elk are pretty easy, because of the large muscle groups. Deer? Depends...Most cases with WT deer here at home the quarters and straps get transported to the house...Once in a while I'll open them up and take the liver/heart for scrapple. Stay well all...
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

While I lean toward boning out in the field, I can't help recalling being invited to watch and learn from a Missouri hill country farmer how to slaughter, skin, butcher, wrap, and pack a full grown hog. The elapsed time from the moment he was sighting down the barrel of his .22 (while showing me exactly where to aim) to closing the door shut on the freezer, was 20 minutes.

I'm still baffled by how he was able to do it so quickly, but I clearly recall his tools were ready at hand and his movements appeared slow and deliberate with no wasted motion or hesitation.

B.
last dollar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

I did one in the field yesterday. Timed myself...28 minutes to removeing meat from bones, did not remove the quarters .Left bare bones attached. Straps out, stew meat off neck, bagged. Not too bad for an old guy...Meat is in shop , finesse work of cutting and wrapping to go yet...No hurry on that....AND shot a rooster on the way home..Today is gronky ,light rain and 38 degrees...