16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Anyone hunt late season dove?
hayseed
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

I’m in the east coast with no wild pheasants or quail, and grouse a couple if hours away. Thinking of hunting late season dove. Anyone else do this? Just want to get some bird hunting in with friends.
steve f
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

A big issue is finding fields with grain left, most fields are bare by late season. If there is food, you can get big flocks coming in. One option is to shoot around ponds late in the afternoon when they're going to water. You'll usually get less than an hours shooting, but there can be a lot of action in a short period of time.
Two Barrels
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:03 am  Reply with quote

We do when we can. We usually shoot in the mornings. Late season doves are just as wary as a duck. Full camo including gloves and a facemask will help, along with limited movement. If you take a dog, they need to be steady. We have an abandoned (disconnected w/o power) powerline running through our field. A couple of decoys on that wire really draws birds in.

The flocks and birds are bigger. 7.5 shot is my choice. When it is cold, the birds start moving around 7:30 or 8:00 on our field. Shooting is usually over before 9:30. We do not shoot it more than once a week.
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

I have about 50-60 white wing doves in my front yard right now! I have never shot a white wing so I may just go out and peel one off. Actually I don't think they are in season at this time but I may check to be sure.

James Very Happy

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
hayseed
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Just seems like I jump quite a few out of cut cornfields when crossing while deer hunting. Thought about walking the rows and trying some jump shooting. Bout the closest thing to upland hunting available.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 am  Reply with quote

haysead,

Don't know where you live but if I could not Grouse and Woodcock hunt, I am afraid I would have to move my residence.

Good luck with the Doves!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
hayseed
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:29 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:

Don't know where you live but if I could not Grouse and Woodcock hunt, I am afraid I would have to move my residence.

Good luck with the Doves!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Actually in Western Maryland but still a couple of hours away from what I hear is decent grouse habitat. I am making some trips to try and locate some huntable birds. Slow process.
The boss, I mean wife, says moving is not an option. I’ve actually only ever seen one grouse in my life and that was a blur. I do remember as a kid, having wild pheasant and quail, though not a lot.
As I near retirement I see I’ve got a lot to make up for. Hearing all the stories on here has me yearning to try something new. Good Lord willing that will mean finding a used RV and annual road trips to Minnesota or Michigan or the like for a week if grouse and then another week chasing pheasant in the midwest. Making plans for a dog to help. I’ve never training a upland dog. Waterfowl dog yes but this will be new to me. I’d rather see my dog work than shoot anyhow.
Just looking at the late dove to tide me over after deer season and spend a little time with friends.
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Late season dove opens the 14 in TX and goes to 1/21 in the South and opens 12/21 and goes to 1/21 in the North and central zones. Fall was a bust here
stubshaft
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:57 am  Reply with quote

I was out this past Sunday for Doves. The only public hunting area open is one of two forest reserves which in Hawaii means thick with brush and muddy! Oh, did I mention that they are also 1500- 2500 feet above sea level. I managed to find an open area which had a few crossing and tagged a couple of them.

When I was a lot younger I could shoot them at the feed lots and local ranches. But, the economy and Democrats put an end to that.

That being said, it is still good day when you can carry a 16 gauge in the woods.
Joe

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
stubshaft
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:57 am  Reply with quote

deleted double post

Last edited by stubshaft on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
df
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:17 am  Reply with quote

Ray-citori wrote:
Late season dove opens the 14 in TX and goes to 1/21 in the South and opens 12/21 and goes to 1/21 in the North and central zones. Fall was a bust here

Seems like the early season doves were a bust many places. I hunted western Ks. Was the poorest in 40 plus years for me.