16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Need advice... newbie sxs
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

The CZ Bobwhite, if you can find one. Why they discontinued them ... makes no sense.

cottonstalk
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

My biggest advice is patience. If you can up your budget a couple hundred dollars, it will make a lot more options available. If you can find some to handle it may help you decide what is comfortable and fits and what don't. I've had 2 of the same models and one fits and points great the other not so much. Good luck in your search.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a quality sxs under $600 to be had?

Not really.

Yes you can get lucky and find an outstanding value at gun shops or online.

But SxS guns are far more complex than pumps and autos, and require greater manufacturing precision, more careful fitting, and regular maintenance. And SxS guns are notorious for well known chronic problems.

There are thousands of SxS guns out there that will be neither reliable nor safe, and you won't know until you shoot it for some time. Some will not open after firing, or will fire when closing. Others will flop open immediately upon firing, or simply fall apart. Some will not cock after opening. Many will double (fire both barrels at once). Others will crack their stocks after firing. Most of these problems are not economically repairable, meaning a gun with these problems is likely worthless.

It's really not a good idea to purchase a low end SxS unless you are willing to scrap it or use it as a lamp stand. I daresay there are more bad SXS guns out there than good ones. Pumps and autos have taken over the shotgun market for good reason.

Plan on spending at least $1000 or more for a SxS with assured reliable safe operation. It will be money well spent.

B.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster, I guess I have had a lot better luck than you have. Careful inspection weeds out a lot of bad guns. One problem with online auction guns is the photography. Some guns seem good in the description, but if there aren't a lot of photos, ones good enough to allow the buyer to truly see the fine details, then I move on. I have noticed the bad guns when the photos are good. At that point I am pondering whether I want a cheap gun to repair and customize or not. There have been rare instances where I picked up a very nice high grade gun that needed work for a greatly reduced price, did the work myself, and was very pleased. Usually I just move on and find another gun though.

Anything in that $600 range is not worth a lot of repair effort, so it's best to be choosy. I do consider the guns I mentioned earlier to all be high quality guns. That said, a new gun is an entirely different animal. I know of no new SxS of quality for $600.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar, I'm a chronic bottomfeeder, so I see the worst of the lot when I roam the gunstores and shows. A lot of collections are being cycled through lately at consignment sales as estates are liquidated. Nobody wants Grandpa's old used shotguns so it's been raining Winchesters and Ithacas here.

I have stumbled across some terrific deals with older repeaters, but almost all of the low end SxS guns are nothing but trouble. And some of the repairs...pathetic if not outright dangerous. After all, why did someone need to get inside the action when they messed up the screwheads so badly?

But I won't quit looking for that D.M. Lefever crossbolt that Grandma kept in the closet by the back door.

B.