16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Discontinued Herters 16ga?
Cass
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:35 am  Reply with quote

I hope they keep offering all of them.

I did find it odd that they didn't carry the 7-1/2's in the lighter load. I personally like the hotter 7-1/2's for hunting, but would also like the lighter option in 7-1/2.

The 7-1/2's and the pheasant 5's are otherwise the same load. I would like to see that load in a 6 for mixed upland.

Cass
df
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:17 am  Reply with quote

FlyChamps wrote:
Cass wrote:
I think they just have a search problem. If you search by 16ga. the Herter's don't show, but if you search by Herter's it shows several types of 16ga available (6 and 7-1/2 under the dove and quail, and 5 under the pheasant).

Cass

The 7 1/2's are 1 1/8 ounce at 1250 fps and have too much recoil for my wife (and also for me). She absolutely abhors them but is very happy with the 1 ounce #8's at 1165 and that is the load no longer available.

Luckily she received several more flats in early December before they ran out of the 1 ounce #8's for her 16 gauge Ugartechea. She now has 5 flats in the basement. She prefers her 20 gauge Grulla for most clays and quail shooting but there are some longer range clays courses where she prefers the 16. The number 6 shot are available in 1 ounce at 1165 fps but size 6 shot is not permitted at any clays course where we shoot.

BPS sucks! And is taking Cabela's down with them. I've quit using my Cabela's personal and business credit cards and obtained cards from another bank. I used to buy significant amounts from Cabela's but now it's solely if they have the lowest price on something I need. My first purchase from Cabela's was when I was in high school back in the 1960's - less than 10 years after the Cabela brothers started the business - it doesn't help your business model when your long-term customers attitude changes from "they're my first choice" to I'll buy from them "if they're the cheapest".

I’m with you on BP sucks. In the past I bought 1000s of dollars of stuff at Cabelas annually. Now rarely spend the time to go to their stores. Shredded my BP master card that was supposed to replace my black Cabelas visa
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

If Bass Pro dropped them i would think someone would be smart enough to pick them up.
Never cared to rvbass pro. They bought their biggest competitor being they were tanking. So they will now destroy both.
eajusc
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:18 am  Reply with quote

That's about what I thought--hopefully this is just temporary and they're getting ready to re-stock, but we'll see. I'm still not seeing the #8s anywhere on the website (not even showing up as a sold out option).

I have everything I need to reload (minus the press!haha) so maybe that's a hobby I'll be picking up in the near future!
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Cabela's is dropping the Herters line altogether.
flyline
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:

I hadn't heard that. What was your source for this information? Would be a big shame.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Check over on Shotgunworld in the general forum.
hayseed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Seems there are conflicting reports on that site. I certainly hope not but have 10 plus flats on hand. That said, I won’t hesitate to buy a few more if they go on sale.

Seems like Bass Pro definitely doesn’t have the Midas touch, cause everything they touch goes to crap. IMO. I’ll definitely be shopping elsewhere.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Don't backorder any. I did that with shot and after months of waiting they quit carrying it and I had to make several calls to get my gift cards and points back.
bschraeder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:01 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:

If they aren’t then the stock, pick a gauge, at the cabelas in Hazelwood MO is the lowest I’ve ever seen it. As in less than 10 flats total and single boxes on sale for 4.88 a box.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:31 am  Reply with quote

Got a text yesterday from a friend of mine in Owatonna Mn. that I'm shooting with this weekend and he said the Cabelas there has zero boxes of Herters in stock. In any gauge. Have 14 flats of 16 ga. 1 oz. Herters and wish I had a lot more right now.
flyline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:50 am  Reply with quote

I just picked up two flats at the Cabelas in Glendale, AZ for $4.88 a box. I already have 6-7 flats waiting to be shot, and i do reload, but just couldn't pass up the price. They were #8 shot and they did have some 6s. There was one flat left on the floor, and single boxes on the shelf in case anyone is in the area and "needs" them.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

For those who can use #6, this is hard to beat.
$4.88 a box

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2482977&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-2482977&WT.z_pg_ref=prd1601971

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
hayseed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

Just ordered 4 flats of the 6’s. Would rather have mostly 8’s but grabbed them up just to be on the safe side. Used my points too. No need to save them if Bass Pro holds true to form. $38 a flat.
Cass
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

Well it may be right that they are being discontinued. I ordered some as well.

It is odd that they don't have their case prices marked down. I just ordered the single boxes in multiples of 10. I hope they don't get shipped to me in random batches of 2 or 3 boxes from multiple stores....

Cass