16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Which is Lighter or Better - Rem 1100 or 11-48?
Sweet16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:10 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Remington 1100 16 gauge, but have been intrigued by the 11-48. I know the 1100 is gas operated and the 11-48 is recoil operated, but other than that, I'm not sure which gun is lighter, better handling (which is subjective, I know), or more reliable. For those of you familiar with both guns, which gun is better in your opinion, or which one would you rather use for upland game hunting (chukar, huns, pheasants, etc)?
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:35 am  Reply with quote

I sold my 1100 16g last summer and purchased an 11-48 Sportsman. It is lighter and for me an easier shotgun to carry. I haven't weighed the 11-48 but it feels like half the weight of the 1100 classic. I'm sure it isn't that dramatic in reality but carrying it on a South Dakota hunt for a week was a pleasure. I'm not sorry I sold the 1100.
Best,
Ron
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:03 am  Reply with quote

As a kid, perhaps 25 seasons ago, a group of us were hunting geese, near Montivideo, MN. One of the group had an 1100 that acted up, and we were able to find the local gunsmith at the tavern in town, and buy, on a Sunday afternoon, the little O ring needed to get it working. I'm pretty sure my dad bought the whole bag of them from him, and still has a few. Back in action in about 1/2 hour. Dad may have given a fiver for half a dozen O rings.

People always complain about 1100s, and the copy I owned went down the road a long time ago. But that incident impressed me. I've heard more than one story of gas station mechanics who knew enough about them to get one shooting for somebody who was a long way from home. It is hard to find somebody who hasn't handled one, and the design lends itself to easy takedown, cleaning and repair. Buy an O ring or two, and keep it clean, and chances are it will work that day. I haven't been that impressed with the new 1100s I have seen, however. With the exception of the checkering (mine was the impressed variety, a sin against man and God) the quality of the guns seems sloppy these days.

Just me, I've never been crazy about guns the barrel shuffles back and forth on. And, the autoloaders went down the road a long time ago for me, as pumps just seem to fit me and my hunting better. If I was truly concerned about weight or handling in a hunting gun, I'd look at quite a few things before I looked at either an 11-48 or an 1100-think Ithaca pump, or Browning double automatic. Someone here just scooped up a Remington 31L, which is a sweetheart compared to either autoloader. But, if the choice is just between those two Remington autoloaders, I'd take the 1100. But, not by much.
Best,
Ted
Rogmatt
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:18 am  Reply with quote

The double shuffle of the Browniung A5 & Rem. 48s is a pleasure to feel for many people like myself. The 1100 is going to have less recoil, and the 11-48 is going to be more reliable according to my experience.

fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

Since you already have the 1100,I'd buy the11-48. You never have too many 16's.

Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

My first gun was a 1100 skeet that I quickly got tired of and sold for a pump. I stayed away from autos for 30 years until I saw a Sweet Sixteen sitting in the rack of a small local gun shop. Wasn't looking for a auto but for $500 bucks thought it would be a good investment. Then I made a mistake of shooting it and I quickly realized I shot it better then my Citori, Flues and 37. It also carries nice in the field, forearm in the crook of my elbow and my hand wrapped around the back of the hump. My only problem is I need a more open choke, I wanted to keep it original but barrels cost almost as much as I paid for the gun. I may have to get the choke opened up or see about tubes.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

lighter-better --parts avaliablity----??????I will stick with the 1100
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

Lighter, yes. Parts availability, it's a moot point with the Browning A 5. Better, No. Ive owned both. It's all a matter of opinion. However, MINE is: The 1100 couldn't carry the A 5's water!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Matt
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:03 am  Reply with quote

The very great majority of A5s out there in the world won't handle steel shot. They do have a sweet barrel profile, and steel shot is death on it.

An 1100 is a steel shot gun by default-if you bulge the barrel, another is available, cheap, or even used. If you bulge the barrel, big deal-it's an 1100.

I offer this only anecdotally-my father's A5 and the A5 of his across the street hunting partner did not shoot to point of aim. Hastings barrels corrected the problem in both instances. I owned an A5 that broke more than one inside extractor on the bolt. They were cheap, and easy to replace, but, it was a nuisance. The gas station mechanic that could keep an 1100 running should stay away from those fine slotted screws on the Browning. Also, the Browning has a fiddly adjustment, that involves dismantling the front of the gun on the recoil tube, and is sensitive to oil being on the tube. An 1100 gobbles up what you put in it, and asks for more.

They are different animals, for sure, but I think it is a little bit of a stretch to think one is dramatically better than the other, A5 to 1100.
Best,
Ted
popplecop
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:24 am  Reply with quote

Well, I've had all 3 of the guns talked about. Rem. 1100 was from the original ones, 28" Mod., Browning (Belgian) Sweet 16, Rem. 11-48 and a Sportsman 48. All the shotguns get regular use except the 1100 which is long gone. My son claimed the 11-48, 26" IC, and the 48 28" Full. The 1100 was just to heavy and didn't feel right. Now the 3 remaining 16s get used got woodcock, grouse, pheasants and ducks over decoys. we shoot bismuth and Kent Matrix for ducks. All that being said the 1100 is easier to maintain and parts are easier to come by, but we have never needed parts for the other 3 yet. And they do get a lot of usage.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:30 am  Reply with quote

Popplecok: How could the 1100, a gas gun, be easier to maintain than the A5?

Matt
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:59 am  Reply with quote

As far as weight, the 11-48 16 ga. small frame version will win hands down. I think Remington management is actually brain dead for not working up a 16 on the LT-20 frame years ago. However, for ruggedness and dependability, I'll take the 1100 over most any other gas auto ever made and recoil guns too. I'm both familiar and quite satified with it. Have been for decades.

I have never stripped or cleaned an 11-48. I have done a couple dozen 1100 autos a couple thousand times. A basic cleaning and wipedown takes all of 5 minutes tops. If you do it every time you shoot the gun, like you'd quickly clean a hinge gun (or should), even the neoprene ring will last several decades. I know, I have a couple with the original rings still in place, still pliable, and still working. Just don't soak the rings in some type of degreasing agent or acetone based cleaner. They don't need it and the gun should not either. If it does, its been neglected too long.

To me, the 1100 is a tinker toy. I doubt there is a gas autoloader on the planet easier to service. Its biggest fault is that it will keep on firing until it is so sludged up, it will start to break parts. The guns are just plain neglected to death, because too many 1100 owners are a bit too lazy to do even the basic easy cleaning job. They just ride them hard and put them away wet. Then when the gun stops firing, they whine like mules. Rolling Eyes That is when I've stepped in and bought a several or more cheaper than dirt from the whiners. I consider it a kindness to the gun, sort of like gun abuse prevention. Laughing I've also found a good home for most too. Wink

In every single case but one, a strip down and thorough cleaning, a quick polish of the outside of the magazine tube with some WD-40 on OOOO steel wool, a once over the nested piston/rings and inside the gas collar on the barrel with a dremel tool wire wheel, steel wool, and WD again, and maybe a new neoprene ring got them working fine. Just too easy IMO.

One case involved a cracked carrier bar. I had it bronze brazed and reinforced with a pair of steel pins fitted parallel across the crack. The gun is still working fine. I think I have less than 70 dollars in that one. Some day, if I'm ambitious, I'll buy a used bolt carrier and replace it...maybe. It's still working fine as yet. Has been for almost 20 years so I'm not in any hurry.

Just do the basics. Remove the barrel and wipe off the two nested piston/rings, inside the gas collar on the barrel, the ports, the outside of the mag tube, and the barrel with a bit of WD-40 or other mild solvent on a rag. An old toothbrush can help here too for the crevices. Follow up with a quick wipedown with a second rag with just a tad of lubricant squirted on the rag and not the gun. That is all it should ever take. There is no need to strip them down more than once or twice a year unless you fire several hundred rounds a day through one for several days, or get it soaked inside and out.

If you just do the basics, these puppies will keep on firing forever. It actually takes longer to type what to do than to do it. Calling these guns undependable is a crock of cow cookies. I have never had one of mine freeze up or quit--ever. However, I've seen them so filthy and crudded up you could scrape enough carbon build up off them to start a small barbeque with. Yet they still were shooting. Amazing--simply amazing. Undependable? Ya--and I'm the Queen of England. Laughing
brdhnt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

The 1100 is a good gun, but as has been stated very heavy for a 16 since it was built on a 12 gauge frame from day one.

I have had numerous 1100's in various gauges and the 1100 stock has never felt right for me even though the dimensions are within the parameters that I normally shoot.

I like the old 11-48. It is much simpler in action than the gas guns and every one I have had has functioned flawlessly after a good cleaning. The 16 gauge I have now is a 26" VR IC barrel that I picked up in a pawn shop for $135. After I got this one, I was hunting with a friend who had his Grandad's old 11-48 in 20 gauge. When we laid the guns side by side with the birds for some photos, it appeared that the frame sizes were the same. Later I did some research and found out from 1954 on until the end of the run in 1968, that the 16 gauge, 20 gauge and 28 gauge 11-48's were all built on the same frame. Mine weighs 6 3/4 pounds and is only 5 ounces heavier than my friends 20 with a 28 inch barrel. Some people don't like the double slam of the long recoil action. but after a while, I never even notice it even when switching back and forth from long recoil and gas guns. I think you would be very happy with an old 11-48. Mine closed out the pheasant season here last Saturday.

Good Shooting

TMB
________
HERBAL HEALTH SHOP