16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Waterproof upland pant recommendations
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago,

Mike I have been interested in trying the new Orvis Upland Hunting Soft Shell pants, they look like they may work, the water resistant, rather than water proof kind of kept me from purchasing them.

When your friend has a chance to wear his for some time as he hunts, come back and let us know how they actually shed water, and for how long. Can these Orvis pants keep a Grouse hunter pretty dry most all day. If they dry out quickly like the advertisement says, I might want to pick up a pair of them, for semi wet days in the woods. Releaving some of the wear from my Gortex Browning and LL Bean pants.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:52 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Chicago,

Mike I have been interested in trying the new Orvis Upland Hunting Soft Shell pants, they look like they may work, the water resistant, rather than water proof kind of kept me from purchasing them.

When your friend has a chance to wear his for some time as he hunts, come back and let us know how they actually shed water, and for how long. Can these Orvis pants keep a Grouse hunter pretty dry most all day. If they dry out quickly like the advertisement says, I might want to pick up a pair of them, for semi wet days in the woods. Releaving some of the wear from my Gortex Browning and LL Bean pants.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

If you want waterproof these are not for you, but few pants are truly waterproof. Many pants get heavy when wet and that drives me nuts and because they are both lightweight, and do a pretty good job of shedding water, you don’t have that problem. For me they are a good compromise in that my thighs are dry, they don’t get weighted down and they dry out very quickly. Generally in the U.P. the dew drys out in the first couple of hours. I don’t hunt in the rain so I don’t know how they would hold up an all day soak.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Mike,

Here in Pa over 1/2 the time we are hunting in some kind rain or snow, however I was thinking of using these new Orvis Pants on less rainy days or when the snow is already on the ground and we have some cold sunny days. The light weight flexible pants sound good to me.

Might have to get a pair and try them out.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
Wondering what brand has held up well for you and still be at least mostly weed and prickers proof.

Did you figure out what pants would work for you?

Good Hunting,
Mike
Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

No I haven't Mike but thanks for asking.I have tried the Filsons, but not fond of their extreme stiffness and it gets worse as it gets colder out(as in snowy). I have waterproof gaiters, but eventually the water wicks down the pant legs. A couple guys like their Underarmor uplands, but they don't seem to be available anywhere right now. search continues

Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
No I haven't Mike but thanks for asking.I have tried the Filsons, but not fond of their extreme stiffness and it gets worse as it gets colder out(as in snowy). I have waterproof gaiters, but eventually the water wicks down the pant legs. A couple guys like their Underarmor uplands, but they don't seem to be available anywhere right now. search continues

Savage16:
Here is a link to Orvis and they claim a couple are waterproof, but I have not tried those pants. If they don’t work the Orvis guaranty would allow you return them.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Ken
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 am  Reply with quote

I received Hunter Choice Chaps from Stone Creek Hounds for Christmas. Only had the chance to uses them once but they kept me dry. Wish id had them earlier in the season as Pine Creek/Dave said it was a wet season this year in Pa.