16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  muscle tremors
tom kilgore
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:16 am  Reply with quote

My one year old GSP has had tremors at night time for several months now. I received a notice on a veterinary news site that alerted me of tremors being caused by the monthly systemic flea pill I had been giving him. I have since stopped that but the tremors continue. Has anyone else seen this before? Thanks, Tom Kilgore
tom kilgore
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:20 am  Reply with quote

This is the site of the vet newsletter:

https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/fda-alert-isoxazoline-class-flea-tick-products/
tom kilgore
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:20 am  Reply with quote

This is the site of the vet newsletter:

https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/fda-alert-isoxazoline-class-flea-tick-products/
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

Tom,
A buddy uses Nexgard and I forwarded him the link. To date he has not had any issues but he is going to check this out with his Vet.

Good Hunting,
Mike
tom kilgore
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

I checked with my current vet to verify what I switched to this last month. The last treatment was Trifexis that was to cover fleas and heartworms. I had been giving him Nexgard and heartgard each month for the prior nine months. Also, I just received an e-mail from a former vet that they would no longer be carrying Trifexis or Interceptor without saying why. I forwarded that e-mail to my current vet. Bottom line is that my GSP friend is very important to me and I will deal with fleas in another manner. Good luck to all, Tom
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Tom,
Sorry to hear about your pup's condition. It's very distressing when these problems appear.

Chester endured a couple episodes of severe tremors and neural difficulties which were traced to contamination by euthanizing agents in the dogfood supply chain. Very disturbing to witness, but the symptoms quickly disappeared entirely when we switched away from the problem brands, some of which, but not all, were identified by lot number and recalled.

There also are recent new bulletins out that caution against certain cereal-free types of dogfood as well.

Without knowing anything more, I can only suggest switching dogfood brands and avoiding anything that has been even remotely connected to cautions or recall.

Best wishes,
B.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:41 am  Reply with quote

My vet stopped carrying the Frontline Plus I previously used and switched my GSP's over to Nexgard and the Heartgard they were already on. All I have noticed is a slight loss of appetite for a few days after dosing, but I'm definitely going to show this to my vet and investigate alternatives. My 4 year old GSP got tick borne erlichia last spring despite being on Nexgard, so I was already questioning the effectiveness of that treatment. Thanks for the heads up.

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

FWIW I have been using Interceptor Plus for heart worms. I used heartgard for years and switched to Interceptor maybe a year ago because my current Vet said it also covered tapeworms and heartgard did not. For fleas and ticks I have used the Seresto collars for about 9 or 10 years and I have never found an engorged tick (brown or deer) on any of my dogs.

Good Hunting,
Mike