16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington Black Game Hulls?
grouser47
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Just starting to reload with Rem black & green hulls. Been reading on various boards that these hulls are the best 16 ga to reload.
How many times can one expect to reload these??
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

from what I'm seeing about 6 times per hull average - depending on handling & pressures

I'm doing a lot of research on products and components - search "cheddite" and maybe "polyformed" and you'll find lots of discussion on hull construction - useful information to know, even if it may not apply to you.

Also - check out the low pressure group - great value for the $$ in there.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with sprocket---- Wink
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

Holy CRAP! YOU mean I'm right!? Oh please make this perfect and tell me you're a woman...

nevermind, nvermind, I'll settle for being "more correct" than not at this point...
RWG
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

Sometimes 5 reloads, sometimes 1 reload. All depends on the crimps. I've had batches of once fired Rem promo hulls that split on the first reload (irregardless of what recipe I use). With the 16 ga. reloading you need to collect quantities of hulls to have ample supplies if you regularly shoot your 16s at doves or clays.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:10 am  Reply with quote

I will echo what Russ states with a caveat - I shot a FACTORY box of the remington black hulls just last week (7.5s - 1 oz) and the hulls were split on at least 1/2 dozen already Confused That and the primers are harder than concrete and I'm not too pleased Rolling Eyes

I'm still waiting on my 10 case backorder at $3.39/box from Rural King in Litchfield IL Rolling Eyes

On the other hand, the remington black hulls with the 3/4 oz reloads I am using are sweet to shoot Cool I will be getting an independent report from revdocdrew as I left him with 12 reloaded boxes in Kansas that he trucked back to AZ - wonder what he will say Question

Dr. 16 Gauge
grouser47
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am  Reply with quote

OK, I'm beginning to see the picture. Perhaps I should be asking --- What are the best/most durable 16 ga hulls to load?
Thanks for the response!
wildweasel
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:44 am  Reply with quote

I'm really surprised that one can get a lot of reloads from the remington black hull. I shoot a lot of these - always factory loads - and the top of these once-fired hulls looks really warped and fried compared to just about every other factory shell I recall firing. I don't think I have a trained eye when it comes to reloads because I don't reload but I can even feel that the plastic seems flimsy on these things. Big difference than a once fired green remington express, for example.
sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:15 am  Reply with quote

the high brass hunting load hulls do seem more ... more betterer or something after the first firing - I usually just chuck them (if I can find them).

load wise, can you treat the green hulls the same as the black?

if I use the blacks for target loads and the green for hunting loads, it will help me with the "filing" categories.

in my home work I have found 2 recipes for 1 oz loads - one for lead, the other for bismuth - same components, powder, cup, primer - just different shot. they appear to use the same powder charge, etc. and produce the same/similar fps & psi. The idea is to practice with the "same" load I'll be hunting with...it will also help to keep the fidgets with the press to a minimum - kinda "set it & forget it" theory

sorry for the hijack, it just kinda flowed...
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:40 am  Reply with quote

You can never go wrong with the green ones, though with my antiquated Lee Load All, you need to push the wad (SP16) down pretty good if you are doing ounce and an eigth, otherwise the crimps can open on you over time and possibly leak out shot..... On the black ones, the ones with the copper colored bases work as good as the greens, but the black ones with the gold brass base sometimes completely pull apart and get stuck inside my shell sizer, and I then need to pry them out of there with a knife or screw driver....most irritating (IT HAPPENNED ON ABOUT ONE OUT OF 3 OR 4) so nowadays, I avoid the gold based black hulls completely....I'm over it...

But they are really durable and can take 5-6 loadings before the tops start to split and fray..... I really like them, as much as AA type.... I have found no better hulls to reload than Win AA type or Rem "greens".

Duncan

quinletc
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:03 am  Reply with quote

I have a bunch of factory Federal purple hulls with relatively high brass - the shells were bought probably 8-10 years ago. These are 1 1/8oz loads of lead 8's.

They have a 6 point crimp, and look almost brand new after the first firing. Haven't loaded them yet, but they appear to be extremely durable.
chilly460
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

I also found that the remington black hulls will split around 5-6 loadings on average. I have a fair share that start splitting at 1-2 reloadings as well, I'll load them with a split or two in them as I'm only doing target loads.

I have a bunch of the purple Federal/Estate hulls as well, but I haven't tried them yet. Been awhile since I looked at them, but I'm pretty sure they use a paper basewad. What are the thoughts on the basewad holding up?
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

I load the Federal purple hulls regularly and find they hold up well enough that I have lost count on the number of times they have been reloaded. I use an extractor gun and keep the hulls dry. They have not given me any problems at all. I load with a Ponsness Warren single stage which keeps the cases from deforming any during the reloading process. Some fellows have reservations about the hull because of the paper base. When you can look down the barrel it seems a mute point. When shooting an auto or pump I can see the concern. The heavy target looads I use in my mdl. 48 Sportsman are factory loads and I couldn't find the hulls in the cat tails if I wanted to.
Best,
Ron
RWG
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

The Federals crimp best for me in the grabber as well. But no presently offered 16 ga. hull is all that great for every recipe. Important to keep a variety on hand for you different 16 ga. needs.