16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Northern Ireland Photo Round-up
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

Our season ended at the end of January, this photo was taken on the last Saturday morning of the season. The photo below was taken that night at our annual charity dinner in which we raised £1000 for the NI Children's Hospice.

This picture and the ones that follow were taken on the last hunt of the season where we were hunting along the track of the old Ballymoney to Ballycastle railway line- the last train on this line ran on the 2nd of July 1950 Smile Great days hunting!

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Great pictures
What were you hunting?
This was a walk-up hunt and not a driven shoot?

How popular is that?

Mike

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you Mike, on Saturday we were hunting pheasant in the woods, on the rest of the pictures we were hunting woodcock. Yes we do walked up shooting or as they call it here in the UK and Ireland- rough shooting. Here in Ireland, walked up shooting is quite popular among small gun clubs like ourselves. Most driven shooting takes place on a larger scale on large estates, and costs far much more to take part in!
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful green country. Love to try it there someday. Thanks for the photos!

Cheers!
Tony
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful country and great pictures . Looks like a great time , thanks for sharing !!

What guns where you shooting ?
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys , I am the only member of our club that shoots a 16gauge , they are not that common over here and I am afraid on the two days the photos were taken I was shooting my 12ga Beretta s56e . So you could say no 16ga ammo was harmed in the taking of these photos . I will list the other guns as best I can .

Aya no2 12ga sxs

Aya 25 12ga sxs

Beretta 686 special 12ga o/u

Beretta sxs 12ga
Betinsoli 12ga o/u
Pedersoli sxs Hammer gun 12ga
Huglu o/u 20ga.

Sorry for all the none 16s in my photo report so I will have to tell you of another hunt earlier in the season when I had my Jeffery 16 under my arm . I had done a flanking manouvre around the back of a clump of fir trees that sometimes would hold a Pheasant , just as I came around the back of the trees Phill put in his two dogs a Springer and a cocker , two great working dogs who wont go past game . Anyway up got a brilliant big cock Pheasant out of the trees right into my path and was despatched dead in the air by the Jeffery . I broke her down to reload and had my spent shell halfway out when up got a second Pheasant , I couldnt believe it , there was no way i was getting that spent shell out so in it went again and I snapped the wee gun closed and selected the back trigger and bang the second Pheasant was dead . Awe man was I happy and in front of four other guys they thought it was some shooting but I put it down to my 16gauge that day , a day I wont forget for sure . Hope this wee tale makes up for all the 12 gauges in the photos . Thanks for putting up with me on this great forum WJ.
wahoo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

Wow WJ, I’m super gealous of your hunting gang and marvelous country side to hunt. I sure you fellas have a grand time. Thanks for showing it off.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
Purple16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

Looks as it rains a lot there. That brush is thick.

What is a good number of killed birds for your group in a day?
How do you get permission to hunt that property?
Do you have limits on birds in one day?

Great photos. Looks like a fun group.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:36 pm  Reply with quote

Simply stunning country and maybe someday I will get to the country of my roots. It looks as though you folks had a fine end to your season. Thank you so much for sharing these photos with us.

Good Hunting,
Mike
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:35 am  Reply with quote

We do get our fair share of rain but this year we have been lucky and had no real bad soakings , it was bitter cold and we had sleet and snow on the Tuesday we hunted the old railway line , We are lucky to get to hunt down in there as one of our members is a farmer and has family along there and also knows the other land owners .
Where we hunt our Pheasant we try to limit ourselves to two birds each but if a real nice shot comes up we can take it nobody minds ,
Number of birds killed ? No real big bags here but everyone usually gets a shot or two , we have some Woodcock in the woods and a chance at Snipe as well so we usually have a good mixed bag , on that last day we shot four Pheasant in the morning in the wood then moved on over to the railway area where we put up some Woodcock but only one was shot , the 20ga accounted for that bird and the the scenery down there was worth the walk even if you never fired a shot. Just to finish the day off five of us had a go at a bit of vermin control and waited on a large flock of Crows coming into the forest at dusk my son managed to take down five , I was in totally the wrong place and got none but it was a great end to a really good season Very Happy Thanks for listening WJ.
last dollar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:29 am  Reply with quote

Lovely post....Seems fitting that the last bird I killed this year was with MY "Wee Jeff"...Thank YOU!
wahoo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:50 am  Reply with quote

Bet you fellas tied up the day with a pint someplace nearby. With such a generous bag opportunity I have to wonder at how folks commonly prepare the birds for the table in your neck of the woods WJ?

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

Last Dollar glad your Wee Jeff is still doing the business for you ,We like our Pheasant done in the slow cooker in a low temperature for four hours , nice with potatoes and veg on a cold evening . Or just pan fried with spring onion and peppers and a nice glass of wine . Very Happy
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

WJ,

Never got to bird hunt in Ireland, did several trips to Scotland however for Grouse hunting. Looks like you guys had a great time rough hunting in Ireland however.

Got to Grouse hunt on a very private estate in Scotland, Mr Stewart was very nice to our SF group when we came on leave from Viet Nan. Our Commanding Officer was related to him in some manner.

Got to hunt the Heather with Mr Stewart and his favorite Gordon Setter dog while the rest of the guys went on a driven hunt. Because of his incredible Gordon Dogs I own one myself today.

All the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Great story Dave of how you ended up having Gordon Setters ,WJ