16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  SG16 over nitro card
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Has anybody put a 16 gauge nitrocard over the powder and then an SG16 plastic wad over that? I am trying to work up a 3/4 oz sixteen skeet load that I can load on my MEC 9000g - in a 2-1/2" Cheddite hull. I don't want to put the filler in the shotcup because then the shot gets barrel scrub and the barrel gets lead scrubbed.

I loaded what I described above to check out the spacing and it crimps beautifully. I am thinking about loading, clocking, and shooting a hundred of them to check for bloopers or odd behavior.

I just thought if maybe someone else had already tried it they could save me some time and trouble.

Thanks!

Mike

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,
When I was trying to load Cheddite hulls with the R-16 wad, I put a nitro card under the wad. But I was doing it to stop powder migration. The nitro card was wider than the wad. It worked, that's all I can say.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

I use cardboard fillers routinely with no trouble on top of the shot-----You could also use the old standby---the pinto bean
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Dave - that info is very helpful and I think I will give 100 cartridges a try.

HOA thanks for the reply and I may fall back to the filler wad on top.

Thanks!

Mike

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:17 am  Reply with quote

Mike, putting a card wad under a plastic one piece wad will work fine as long as the card wad is both big enough in diameter to fill the inside case diameter nice and snug and is thick enough and stiff enough so it won't squeeze into the gas seal on the bottom of the plastic wad. The flat nitro card will push on the plastic wad base enough to get it to obturate and seal all the powder gases behind the wad column. As long as this seal is formed, the load will work fine.

Just be sure to check your bore for lots of unburned powder and listen for punky sounding shells. If this is taking place, then your loads are not sealing the gas in well enough. Then try a card wad with a slightly bigger diameter, like a 16 gauge nitro card designed for a muzzleloader. these are a tad bigger in diameter. However, a standard nitro card of at least .070" thick should work fine for most cases.
DDawg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Mike, I use the nitro wads under the SG16s and never had any problem. Very Happy I even drilled a .065" hole in the nitro wads at first?????. (Why .065"; most likely that was the first drill I could reach.) Thought that would ensure there was enough gas to open the skirts on the wad. Lately the wads go in without the gas hole. No differonce!!! You have some warm weather back there, Shocked so I would like to know what powder you are using? Thanks
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

16gagueguy thanks for the help. Your informaiton makes it much more comfortable for me to go on with the load. Please excuse me for being so long in responding.

DDawg thanks - your post was very helpful.

Thanks!

Mike