16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Crow Hunting
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:25 am  Reply with quote

best shooting ever , never fired a shot ! Neighbor wanted to set up a tree stand at the cabin . Went out to help him out. Next door was a rook working and couldn't help myself . Called by mouth got a couple to come in and check it out . They were heading back and started calling again . Chris is up the tree and they're flying right by him . They started to leave . Called again and the whole damn rook came over !! Flying right by his head and landing right next to him . He's swearing out loud - IF THEY SH** ON MY HEAD < I'M GONNA KILL YOU !! They hung around for a goodly amt of time and left for good . It was hilarious ! no decoys - just Chris up in the tree .

Chukar60
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

I have pass shot crows before. Not too much action, but a lot of fun. Shot some with a long range varmint rifle and it was a challenge.
Decoying them sounds like a good time.
We have some guys here local that offer guided pigeon and Collared Dove shoots. Super high volume.
I am going to see what it would cost to do one of their hunts. They have all the local dairies tied up with leases. The dairies are happy as can be to have someone clean out the feathered rats.
Chukar60
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

Good grief! Thought I forgot to post that last one this morning. Should have checked. Getting old is a lot of entertainment
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:03 pm  Reply with quote

That tied up and leased up stuff sounds like a plague. I have a friend who lives about 30 minutes west of Boise and he complains about poor access too. It just blows me away that someone wants hunters to pay them to remove their agricultural pests. It's like expecting a competent mechanic to just pull into your driveway and say "Hey, I noticed you're truck's broke down. I will give you $200 if you let me fix it."

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:26 am  Reply with quote

Love shooting crows farmers love you shooting them too. Usually after duck/goose but occasionally in September when the season opens I'll switch for a day or two. Loved the crow cat story. I've shot an occasional crow with my Auto-5 16 I've had for over 40 years but when I'm strictly going for crows I take a 12 auto. May have to rethink that a bit I have a lot of 16 ga. 6's loaded. Anyway an E caller, an owl and some flocked decoys helps. breaks up the winter blues.
Benjo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:29 am  Reply with quote

I've been known to bag a few. Still enjoy using a mouth call. Bag full of decoys I flocked myself.

A sxs Tru-test 16ga.

Benjo
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:26 am  Reply with quote

I remember what was probably my best crow shoot ever. I intended just get a few and head home since it was -12 F and the wind was blowing 20 mph+. When I stopped to ask if I could set up for crows on the far end of the property, Dennis ordered me to "start right here!" I asked if it would bother the calves in the feed lot and he said "Heck no; get them crows." This was great. He had cut the hillside away right below the corrals and there were square ton bales stacked everywhere. In other words, I would be out of the wind!

Well, I got busy trimming back the horde, taking them as they came. Then I ran out of crow loads, all 200 rounds, so off to the car I went. Three boxes of chukar ammo lasted another 20 minutes...but the crows, they just kept coming! I had a few boxes of #4 steel for ducks in the car. I was reluctant to use up waterfowl loads on crows, but then figured I had loaded them to go out and have fun hunting and I certainly was having fun hunting crows. Yep, used them all.

When it was over we filled the front bucket of the tractor with crows. My farmer friend was impressed and told me to come back and whack the pests anytime. My response: "I will, but realize that I just made 2000 of them a lot smarter, next time I will probably only get 12". Twelve is about all I did cull the next time.

goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:45 am  Reply with quote

When I was a kid and had my 16 gauge 870, my older brother bet me I would never get a crow just wandering around the farm. He said crows know when you bring the gun to your shoulder, it is time to beat it as fast as possible. Finally, I won the $10 bet. Our ravens behave the same way even though we cannot shoot them.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Back when I put a 45 record of crow calls on my sisters portable record player and set it outside and turned it on. I went to fetch the M12 but it was in the mutton case and needed assembly. Waves of crows attacked the little record player in huge numbers while I watched from indoors and fumbled with the M12 which I managed to jam. By the time I got it together the crows had it figured it out and disappeared when they saw me with the gun. Following week I tried again but only got a single warning call by a sentry and nothing. Guess I can laugh about it by now.

B.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:02 am  Reply with quote

Yep usually one good shoot then forget it for awhile. Have to go elsewhere smart birds. I cant count the times i'm in full camo bowhunting or turkey hunting and they have picked my out.