16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herters on sale
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:30 am  Reply with quote

Dave Can you use 2's in Maine for turkey? I don't turkey hunt but seems like MN rules say nothing bigger than 4's. Your post reminded me that I have a full box of Dads 12ga 3 in mag 1 7/8oz 2's. Don't know what I'll ever do with them; wish I could take them snow goose hunting this week

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Sand Hill Crane ammo for sure Smile

hayseed
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

At a recent gun show I picked up a box (short one round) of 70s era Peters shells. 12 ga, 2 3/4 in., 1 1/2 ounce #2 lead. If I can't kill a turkey with that, I don't deserve to be in the woods. In the same lot, 14/25 rounds in a box, 1 1/4 oz of #6 lead, Remington Duck and Pheasant, same vintage, 12 ga. Again, if I can't kill a turkey with that, I don't deserve to be in the woods.

I suspect the #2s were short one round for the same reason the tungsten doesn't get shot - the ouch factor. Only the #2s were all ouchy in the shoulder while the tungsten in both the shoulder and wallet.

Total price: $5.

I think I did well.[/quote]

I remember some old timers telling me those #2's were absolutely deadly on turkeys and geese back in the day.
df
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

hayseed wrote:
At a recent gun show I picked up a box (short one round) of 70s era Peters shells. 12 ga, 2 3/4 in., 1 1/2 ounce #2 lead. If I can't kill a turkey with that, I don't deserve to be in the woods. In the same lot, 14/25 rounds in a box, 1 1/4 oz of #6 lead, Remington Duck and Pheasant, same vintage, 12 ga. Again, if I can't kill a turkey with that, I don't deserve to be in the woods.

I suspect the #2s were short one round for the same reason the tungsten doesn't get shot - the ouch factor. Only the #2s were all ouchy in the shoulder while the tungsten in both the shoulder and wallet.

Total price: $5.

I think I did well.

I remember some old timers telling me those #2's were absolutely deadly on turkeys and geese back in the day.[/quote]

Yes you did well, very well.
I still have most of a box of 12 ga 3” lead #2. They get used on coyotes.

I’ve not yet ( and never will ) buy in to the notion that you need 12 ga, 3” buffered copper plated multi sized shot, through a super full extended titanium choke tube to kill a turkey .
That’s totally marketing BS.
Your point about “ not deserving to be in th woods” is spot on.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

That multiple shot size notion is the biggest bunch of B.S. ever unlimbered on the shotgunning market. Let me put it this way. The claim is that little pellets fill in the pattern real nice and the big ones give it punch. Okay, so it begs the question: if the bird is far enough that I actually need the big pellets, then what good are the small ones at that range? Shooting a half charge (or 1/3) of the only pellets that will be heavy enough to do the is not a wise avenue to success. If the bird is close enough that the smaller shot size will do the job, then why not use only the small size and have more pellets in the pattern?

The ammo manufacturers need to suck it up and quit dropping gimmicks on the market. Worse yet, ignorant people need to stop writing rave reviews about them. Sorry for the rant, but it's become a pet peeve when an industry tricks people to generate sales. Once someone believes in such fairy dust, it is real hard to convince them otherwise (I fear that some take it personal).

Gran16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

Oh well just gives us that are in the know (16 gauge) something to chuckle about. Hey bud I got my turkey but check out my black and blue shoulder. Very Happy
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Anybody here see the video of the guy missing two turkeys at under five feet? Hilarious. He then misses two more shots. I guess them ultra high dollar shells and unplugged magazine just aren't enough to kill a turkey. We must invent something new!

duckdup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Missed at 5 feet? He must have bought the $6 per shot loads not the $11 per shot loads...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:38 am  Reply with quote

1.5 oz. of #2 lead wouldn't be my choice of shells for turkeys. That's barely 135 pellets and if one targets the head and neck, not much density of pattern which is a recipe for wounding a bird that can outrun a horse and fly as fast as a quail. As for deliberately body shooting a turkey, uh-uh. If someone hasn't missed a turkey in their career, bet they haven't hunted many. Missing a turkey at 5 feet is fairly easy considering the pattern size and chances are he's not standing still by the time the trigger is pulled. Gil
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:10 am  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
It would be way cool if they developed a 16 gauge 7/8 oz #8 shot target load for a very affordable price.

I bet it would sell well.

Even better would be a 65 or 67mm hull. Just pull a Remington and label them 2 3/4"...
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:36 am  Reply with quote

Oh both turkeys were standing still! Poor guy must have gotten way too excited.

Buford57
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

I ordered 8 boxes of #5s through the gun dept. last week. Yesterday I received 7 boxes and a backorder notice. I suppose that it was a BO and not a refund should give me hope..but it doesn't.

While on the line I suggested to the very helpful young lady that she direct the attention of the purchasing/marketing people to this forum when deciding whether to offer this product in the future. It was worth a shot. (Pardon the pun)

bigclubs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

jswanson wrote:
Ordered a flat of 28 Ga Herters , got a confirmation, and several days later got an Email telling me my request to cancel the order was processed. CAlled cust service to see whats up as I didn;t cancel and was told sorry the product had been discontinued.

Oh , well.

jswanson, I have had orders for gun accessories and parts cancelled from out of state companies due to mailing address is NY. All ammo has to be shipped to an FFL dealer by state law, so now some companies will no longer ship anything to NY. Hence the order was cancelled.