16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  8567 Grabber Help
Montana16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

I recently moved to a new house and set up my reloading station. Everything is functioning well, with the exception of the powder drop. I have a noticeable amount of powder spillage now as the powder drops. I use the Universal Charge Bar and powder baffler combination. When you pull down the handle, you can see several grains of powder (maybe 10) on the end of the charge bar as you complete the downward stroke of the handle.

The setup comes with two washers, one rubber (thicker width) and one out of brass (thinner width). I have tried both of them in between the baffler and the charge bar, but the results are the same.

Thoughts on how to correct this issue?
elmo123
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

I have numerous Mec reloaders and use the powder baffle on a few of them and have had the problem that you are experiencing.

The first thing I do is to remove the bottle from the baffle and screw it into the charge bar assembly and see if it is making contact with the brass and rubber washer. Sometimes the baffle won't screw in far enough to exert enough pressure against the washers to make a good seal.

I have also had the rubber washers harden to the point of being brittle and if that's the case it needs to be replaced.

And make sure the brass washer is seated against the powder bushing flat side down with the dimples facing upwards against the rubber washer, MEC calls this part a grommet.

You are going to get a few flakes of powder like RD Dot after loading a hundred
shells but the worst in 296/110 which I use in the .410.

Hope this helps,

Mike
DanLee
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:42 am  Reply with quote

The red plastic baffle is used by itself, no washer or grommet needed. The spring in the baffle is supposed to keep the nozzle end tight against the charge bar. Personally, I've stopped using the baffle and gone back to the washer and grommet because i get more consistent powder drops.
Montana16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Dan and Mike for the feedback. I arranged the washers in the order Mike described. Problem solved. No more spillage.

Stefen