16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  CB 7/8 oz loads.
Donato
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:31 am  Reply with quote

I looked and there is no data for the CB 7/8 oz 16 ga wad using Universal clays. so I loaded up a few in Win CF hulls using the 1 oz data for universal @ 1180 fps but only using 7/8 oz of shot. I know it not cool do do so but that 1 oz load produced fairly low pressure.

I shot two rounds of skeet wit those loads and they broke the clays very well. Is there any data out there for 19.2 gr of universal using that CB wad and 7/8 oz of shot ? I also loaded a few of the black Rem hull and they also loaded fine.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:50 am  Reply with quote

I'd shoot em. My personal rule, you can always go down,never up. Heck I've used 18 grns. of Universal with that wad. I'm betting your gonna get all kinds of recipes here pretty quick.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:55 am  Reply with quote

The loads go to 20.7 grains of Universal in some data I have, with the WAA16 and an ounce of shot.

The CB0078-16 is a copy of the CB0100-16 exceot for the 'bump' in the bottom of the shotcup. Both are a copy of the WAA-16.

I don't see a problem with what you have done.

IMHO, I would send it over a chronograph for s**** and giggles and have fun with the load.

I have tried a similar load in a Remington hull and they work just fine. I did not chrono them and probably won't.

The only reason I use Universal for 7/8 oz. loads is that it cycles my 1100, Green Dot and the like will not.

Donato
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:14 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your feed back. I was hoping since the 1 oz load with that same amount of powder produced 1180 fps I'd get 1200 fps or a bit more.

I'm using these loads in a 1930 Czechoslovakian SxS with Krupp steel barrels. Its a gun from an independent gun maker. I had the forcing cones lengthen a bit. Been shooting it for years with 1 and 1 1/8 reloads for quail and chukar with great results.

thanks again.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Donato
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

Mike I realize this . this load burnt very clean and sounded fine. I see they use PB with the DR 7/8 wads and I think PB may be slower than universal.
Donato
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry mike PB is a bit faster than universal
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

I just got some of those wads , I have over 500 win CF do they crimp ok?
Donato
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:37 am  Reply with quote

I called Hogdons and the tech there told me my substitution is completely safe and I might gain a few fps Vel

19.2 gr of universal and the CB 7/8 wad load well in the Win cf cases but You can't put much wad pressure on it. I thought this may be a problem but I must have enough pressure on my loads or they may have burnt real dirty but they didn't. It seemed the RGL cases loaded a bit better but I always though they had more internal volume. Not so sure now.

I don't have a Down Range 7/8 wad to measure up against the CB 7/8 wad but with the little bit of international there putting in it I'm guessing its a taller wad.

I got lucky and I got a free bag of those CB 7/8 wads / packers mistake, so I'm going to shoot the heck out of them. A guy sold Me 2 cans of universal for $15 each so I'm set for a few years.