16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 oz load in Fiocchi Hulls
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:58 am  Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with some different loads the past couple days looking for a low recoil load for my A5 that functions and something that I can shoot in my other guns as well. In the in the 5th Edition page 6 of the 16 ga manual I found a load using 1 OZ. of shot, Fiocchi hulls, 17 grns of Red Dot Powder(that I have a lot of) the BP SG16 of which I also have a good supply of. The only thing I substituted was a Win 209 instead of the Fiocchi 616. All crimped beautifully. I just shot 3 of them in my backyard using my chronograph. the highest was 1170 and the lowest was just under 1150. They all ejected perfectly. The listed PRESSURE IS RIGHT AT 10k. Do you think i should have them tested?

I'm not one to deviate from listed loads too much but I did load three more with 7/8 oz of shot, put a felt 1/8 inch spacer in the bottom of the wad and loaded those as well. they too worked through the action and ejected flawlessly average velocity was 1230.
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:16 am  Reply with quote

Found the same recipe on the spread sheets listed from Alliant 1998. Looks like you're OK, not sure if RD has seen a redesign since then and so if you know the FPS wouldn't hurt or be very expensive to send 3 shells to Mr Armbrust or PR to verify pressure.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:40 am  Reply with quote

I may just do that before I load up a bunch. I have another load I want tested in Win CF hulls anyway
oldog
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am  Reply with quote

make up a dozen or so of this load. fully load the auto then fire the gun to empty it. if there is any problem with ejection, load the gun again and try emptying it again. If all the hulls eject go with it. if not then it is not a reliably recyclable load.

castnblast
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

Soggy socks wrote:
I may just do that before I load up a bunch. I have another load I want tested in Win CF hulls anyway

So what is the CF load you are working on? I have 1 1/16 oz load I was thinking of having tested myself?
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:37 am  Reply with quote

7/8 oz shot, 15.5 grns of 20/28, DR 16 wad LP in the Rem case 1150 FPS , want to use it in win CF cases. It does not eject out of autos but low recoil in my O/Us for skeet would be fine. Both cases chronograph almost same velocity.
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:47 am  Reply with quote

Soggy socks wrote:

Ancillary bonus; calibration reference for your chrono....

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

Dropped the powder charge to 16.5 loaded 50 and shot 2 rounds of skeet Wednesday. I shot ok with them 22 and 24 recoil light, I will shoot sporting clays with 100 plus I loaded tomorrow. I still plan on sending some in.