16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  To modify or not
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:15 am  Reply with quote

Yes if I focus on something and mount the gun with my eyes closed sometimes I am off to the left when I open my eyes but with both eyes open I am mounting dead on.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

This is likely the result of mentally compensating when your eyes are open; your brain knows the gun is pointing left and you're probably mashing your cheek a bit to get that eye over. This leads to a bit more recoil to the cheek when you shoot too.

How you mount with your eyes closed is the way you will naturally mount the gun without having to think about it. This is important since your mind will be busy enough tracking a moving target, figuring speed-distance-angle, calculating forward allowance angle, timing the shot, maintaining focus, and watching for any issues of safety when it comes time to perform in the field. It's easy for the brain to be to overwhelmed enough to disregard conscious effort to adjust for poor stock fit. At best, things get awkward.

Some folks shoot the same gun their whole life and eventually it becomes second nature though. I started that way then began modifying my stocks in college. I still prefer to break out the rasp and sand paper when needed, within reason.

Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Well I will modify the Sauer myself should only take a 1/16 to an 1/8 " to get were I need to be.I like everything about this gun ,the light weight,RST spreader's and the sling will make it very versatile from dove and quail to pheasant and blue grouse.Thanks Aurelio
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:19 am  Reply with quote

Remember to sneak up on those measurements. Once you take off wood, it's not growing back. I usually get my stock 90% to where I need it to be and then do the rest with sandpaper. If you get an fit exact before sanding, you will have gone too far by time the tooling marks and coarse grit sandpaper marks have been sanded out smooth to 400 grit.

I use a foam sanding block a lot when doing this work. I have an 1/8" thick one and a 1/2" thick one to wrap various grades of sand paper around. Using a block keeps the wood from getting wavy or dished in spots, especially highly figured wood that that has harder and softer spots. The 1/2" thick pad is used most, but the thin one is occasionally handy for wrapping over the comb or other sharply curved surfaces.

Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:47 am  Reply with quote

I just got done on the pattern board.i don't think I took more than .015 off and both barrels are dead on left and right and about 55 45 up and down.Thanks again Aurelio
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

GREAT NEW!!
AWESOME

Mike

Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

Aurelio,
Sounds like a successful outcome.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Aurelio,

Good advise from knowledgable gunners! Glad you found the help you needed here.
Now a little practice!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers