16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  A question about the new Browning A5
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:09 am  Reply with quote

Is the stock adjustable for cast and drop? I always need about 1/4" of cast and usually a bit more drop than most shotguns are made with. I was wondering if this feature might be available using shims as is common on Benelli's.

William J. siefert
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Unless something has changed since I bought mine, the A-5 comes with 6 shims to include the neutral shim it is shipped with. Two of the shims are marked 1 & 3. These are neutral in cast and will raise or lower the comb by 1/16" and the heal 1/8". The other three shims will provide the same comb adjustment but will change the cast by 1/8" R or L. If you need more then 1/8" change in cast, you would have to obtain additional shims and stack two of them. (Browning might not agree with that idea but I've put two shims on a Winchesters to drop a very high combs and its worked for me.)

Bill
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:52 am  Reply with quote

Thank you Bill.

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:18 am  Reply with quote

Mark, some will say the shims do nothing. My gun was just a tad high-combed and I swapped out the shim for the next lower supplied shim and it gave me what I wanted.

I think William's idea above is good if you need more than a small tweak.
dwr353
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Does the Sweet come with spacers to add lop?
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 am  Reply with quote

It ships with two spacers to increase LOP.
dwr353
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:13 am  Reply with quote

Thanks
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.

studdog
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Shims don't work very well unless minor adjustment. Almost useless, I had my stock guy adjust mine by changing wood to metal fit. It's perfect now.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:56 am  Reply with quote

I was hoping that shims would work on the Browning the way they worked on my Benelli SS. You can see the cast it put on the Benelli and you can prove it at the patterning board also.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:49 am  Reply with quote

I'm with Dave on this, but seem to usually be on the same page as him most of the time so not surprising to me.

I purchased my Sweet 16 used from a member on here. First time out with it on 5 stand couldn't hit a thing with it. Had shot the Sweet 16 that Browning sent to the Sweet 16 shoot last year and hit pretty much everything with it. So when I got home looked at the shim kit and on line to see what the factory settings were. The previous owner had switched them out to fit him so I switched it back. And have shot it lights out since.

When I got my Benelli Ultralight back when they first came out I shimmed it to shoot high like my target guns. But for the last 3 years have been going back to flat shooting guns and more swing through than sustained lead to replicate true hunting situations so I hadn't shot it in almost 3 years. Last weekend finally broke it out and shimmed it as low as I could go, but still shooting a little high with it about 60\40. Not sure what my next step will be with it. Cast of course is correct, about the same as the Sweet for me at least.

The Sweet 16 is off getting the steep radius grip converted to a POW grip the way Browning should have done it. Personal opinion of course. Have plenty of other guns to shoot and yesterday had a ball shooting skeet in 40+ mph winds with the 20 ga. Win 23. But I really do miss the Sweet 16 and look forward to getting it back, for me it is a fun gun to shoot. Pretty sure the wait will be worth it.
Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

If you want I can 3D print you shims for the A5 16g. I did it to mine to drastically raise the comb. I have done this with all my Browning shotguns. Let me know.