16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning Gran Lightning or 525-Opinions
longgunnm
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

Several years ago I handled a Gran Lightning in 12 gauge and thought I’d like to own one but never did.
Now the 16 bug bit and Browning has some very nice O/U shotguns available. Choice would be 28” barrels I think. Would love to say I’d use it to hunt with but probably clays would be more realistic. Appears 26” models are more attractively priced.
Have seen the beautiful wood on Gran Lightning’s. Haven’t seen as nice wood on 525’s but stock and forearm being completely different style. Never see 525’s locally but have handled the Lightning.
For those of you who have these models, what attributes drove you to that particular model?
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

I have 525 28” and for clays it’s a great gun. I carry it for birds and it is a loaner gun when our club hosts veteran events. (Single trigger break guns are the requirement). Anyway, it doesn’t have all those extra holes in the barrel that the sporting model got, but right at seven pounds and very nice balance, it’s a keeper. The wood gets a bit better with a few coats of tru-oil. Not grand lightning good, but better than the factory finish.

Some with higher grade wood stocks have had issues with cracking at the wrist. Browning solves this problem with replacing the stock with a straighter grain stock... the 525 pistol grip seems ideal for target work. My 2c...
df
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:09 am  Reply with quote

I think the 16 ga gran Lightning’s are great looking guns, in most cases. I’ve owned one and sold it ( to fund another purchase).
Some of them have great wood, some, not so great.
I would not buy one without seeing both sides of the butt stock, in person or photos of the actual gun to be purchased.
hayseed
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

My Gran Lightning has outstanding wood but some I’ve seen left a lot to be desired. I agree with the previos poster (df); I would not purchase without seeing the stock first.