16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Kudos to WyoChukar
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

There are some great people on this forum. I had a gun that was shooting low in both barrels, and WyoChukar walked me through the process of opening up the parallel section of the choke with a dremel tool to adjust poi upwards. I gave it a try, and it worked like magic. So now, instead of having to raise the comb up and see a lot of rib to adjust poi, it's back to a normal sight picture. What a great tool to have in the double gun bag of tricks.

Fantastic!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan,

The 16 forum has some very knowledgable and experienced people, glad WyoChukar was able to help you with his gun knowledge!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
dilly
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Agreed. I have always felt supported on this site.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:32 am  Reply with quote

Glad to help. The sanding drum trick is pretty handy. It saved an unusable gun for me long ago. One barrel was sending shot way off course and well, it's been my #1 long range gun ever since.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:59 am  Reply with quote

WhoChukar -- Could you please explain the technique and tools used in some detail. I imagine you remove a bit of metal on some location relative to the direction you want to deflect the pattern, but it would be good to hear exactly how and where you do it. Sounds like good info, thanks.

Cheers,
Tony
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:27 am  Reply with quote

Shot skeet with John Singer a couple of weeks ago at Zumbrota and he showed me pictures on his phone of pattering papers for a gun that he did the same exact thing to. It was impressive to say the least.

Hopefully pickup my CZ sharptail 16 tonight and if the POI for both bbls. isn't where I want it I know a guy...
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:19 am  Reply with quote

Well, it's a touchy procedure, in that metal removed isn't easily going back. It is best to sneak up on things very gradually. That said, the procedure involves a dremel tool and 1/2" sanding drum.

If a barrel is printing consistently one direction, lets say to the right, then we obviously want to get the pattern to move left. By removing a scant amount of metal from the left side of the opening, the pattern will shift that direction.

Now bear in mind that you are working with the parallel section of the choke (exceptions do exist where some chokes do not have a parallel section). It is important to keep the parallel section, well, parallel. This is where a bit of skill and technique come in. The tool/ sanding drum must remain square, any canting, twisting, etc. will start a taper, so be careful. It is also worth noting that as metal is removed, this must be "feathered" out, so that the muzzle exit finishes up round rather than oblong. As anyone can see, a steady hand is needed.

This endeavor is best handled where power is available at a shooting bench, but a cordless dremel is an option. It is paramount to shoot from a bench with a good rest (ultra light loads make this more pleasant!) to check exact P.O.I. after each alteration of the choke wall. A little at a time is the way to sneak up on perfect shot placement. If you go too far...well then you will be grinding out the other side. Get it wrong enough times and I suppose one could end up turning a full choke into cylinder!

The whole ordeal sounds a wee tad scary...and for good reason. But it isn't terribly difficult for anyone with steady hands and a good pair of eyes. Just remember "patience young grasshopper, patience"...