16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  DeHaan 16 ga.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:15 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Nice review of the DeHaan guns in the new Shooting Sportsman; 28 and 20 ga though; no 16's. For the record: I got an e-mail from Mark DeHaan saying they had underestimated the demand for the SO 16ga guns, and are out of stock until spring. Don't know if I'm glad for the interest in 16's, or sad that it'll make it tough on the rest of us! Just like fly fishing: once the yuppies decided it was cool it sure drove up the demand/prices on gear, etc!

Hooray for the yuppies. I made a good extra living from them showing them the bonefish and the tarpon when I lived in Florida. I'd like to say They even caught a few if they could cast all at fancy gear they usually brought with them. Most couldn't do much more than drape their flylines around their flats hats. But they sure were fun to watch. Anyway, I also made a good piece of change selling all their used gear when they gave up on fishing after catching nothing but their hats. I hope to someday buy some nice 16 gauge guns cheap when they give up shooting 'cause they realized they couldn't hit their hat if it was lying on the ground ten feet in front of them. God I love yuppies. Laughing
Grouser
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:16 am  Reply with quote

I was considering a custom DeHaan 16 in January, but opted to experiment on a SXS 20 that he had in inventory first. Picked up the gun Friday night and was grouse hunting the next morning. Went 0-5 in 3 hrs of hunting (which is about par) and then met some friends for a boot-n-shoot quail hunt that afternoon. My primary gun is a 16 Citori Upland, so it took awhile to get comfortable. Although a little heavy (for a 20) the gun balances and handles well. I'd rate it as follows:
Wood to metal fit - excellent
Bluing - flawless, deep color, nice polish
case coloring - excellent
mechanics - very good, locks up tight, no slop, machining equivalent to Japanese manufactured guns.
wood - straight grain, satin finish (similar to SKB). oil finish would make the gun.

I did a lot of research on Huglu and came to the conclusion that quality is inconsistent, largely dependent upon the importer. I was skeptical about ordering a gun without touching it, but DeHaan has a money back guarantee so the risk is low. Mark DeHaan has a good reputation and I had a good experience with him. I have read that the custom guns are finer in finish (all internal parts polished). Follow through on ordering a custom 16 is going to be determined by my budget, I'd rather have a Merkel 1620, but the Euro seems to have driven up the prices lately.

Overall, the gun meets my expectations (which is subjective) and it is not out of place in my gun cabinet next to a grade VI citori. I'd venture to guess that there are a few gun collections on this forum where it may not cut the mustard.
8+8
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

Grouser wrote "Grouser wrote " Machining equivalent to Japanese manufactured guns"

Although I've never seen a Dehann Close-up, that's acturally better then I thought they would be. As most if not all of the Japaness guns I've seen are CNC'ed with-in tight tolerance. With that say, would you consider the over all quality of a Dehann is equivalent to the Japanese Browning.
Grouser
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:21 am  Reply with quote

8+8,

Good question, I'm biased to Browning. I think the DeHaan is comparable to SKB shotguns. I bought the DeHaan primarily because I wanted a SXS field gun. An interesting note, both the Browning and DeHaan barrels flare out to accommodate the choke tubes. I haven't mic'ed them but is looks about the same.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:38 am  Reply with quote

16GG: Good on ya! I knew the yups had to be good for something! Laughing

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:58 am  Reply with quote

Actually FtoF, I really should clarify what I mean by "Yuppie." To me a yuppie is someone who thinks knowledge and skill can be bought with money. This type thinks that acquiring the money to buy the very best gear and the clothes to match qualifies him or her to automatically do what must be done to cast a fly to a cruising fish, or knock a fleeting game bird out of the sky. Unfortunately for most of these folks, it just ain't so. Fly casting and wingshooting skills cannot be bought but must be earned through time and practice, lots and lots of it. Unfortunately, for many yuppies, that time interferes with their professional obligations. They cannot or will not put the time aside to actually learn any necessary skill to succeed at hunting or fishing. They are children of the urban invironment. They incorrectly think something as ancient as hunting or fishing is supposed to be simple for a human. You, I and most all here realize it is not and have spent a good part of their lives learning these arts. Most yuppies have lost the ability to "touch the earth." they are part of their own urban myth. To others, it is a game of one upsmanship between themselves and their other yuppie friends. He who acquires the latest, most expensive gear wins.

I have spent many hours trying to teach many of these folks the basics of our arts. Every once in a while, one of them has the ability to pick it up right away or better yet, comes to terms with his or her own foolishness and makes a real commitment to succeed. I have gained some very good friend this way. Most do not and leave the field way too soon in quest of another mountain to conquer through LL BEAN, Orvis, or whatever shop is offering the latest surefire gear to success. Often as not, I have been blamed for their failure as not really being a good guide or teacher. I just laugh it off and take their money. I'm too pragmatic to miss a good deal for me because of someone else's foolishness. Its all a modern variation on the old "Emperor's New Clothes" fable. A fool and his money... Wink
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Well said. Actually, I shouldn't generalize or call names, and I don't mean to demean anybody's level of ability or expertise; I ain't necessarily the best myself! But I agree: to me, it's someone who's always looking to "one-up" with money, gear, cars, et al. Nothing wrong with owning nice things, as long as the "things" don't become the goal. I'd rather see a cheap rod (or gun) well used and enjoyed than the best bamboo left in the closet after its owner has moved on to the next big thing! Don't blame you at all for taking those charter $$ though! Smile

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook