16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  M 24
berg
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up a 16 gauge Win. Model 24. It's in decent shape for a 50+ year old hunting gun. The metal is good with a little more blue left on it than on most of the 24's that I've seen. I will need to redo the wood because some jackass already did. Probably close to the worst refinish job I've ever seen, thick, brushmarks, runs, dust bumps and fisheyes. Only good thing is that I don't think the guy knew what sandpaper is because the wood actually looks like it is in pretty good shape under that mess. It still looks like it fits right at the reciever and buttplate. It will take a few hours but I can fix it up.

I've wanted a 24 for quite some time, and actually had been kind of looking for a decent one for several years. I'm pretty sure dad's 12 gauge 24 was the first shotgun I ever fired. It was either that or his 97. I always wanted that gun but so did my brother, I kind of figured that he would get it, so I've looked around. Turns out neither of us got it. Since I couldn't get that gun I decided that I'd find one in 16 gauge.

That 24 was practically a death ray in his hands, but really it didn't matter what gun he was using, he was probably one of the best field shooters I've ever seen, did okay on the trap range too, won a few trophies.
When he grew up, game was an important addition to the family table, and that continued through my younger days. Hunting was always a part of life, and an important family activity. Dad bought his 24 used and carried it for at least 15, probably closer to 20 years, buying my older brother and I each a brand new gun before he bought himself one. When he did put it up, he bought himself a Light Twelve, that he carried for about 30 years. I've got that now. The 24 he got rid of sometime in the last year before he died, traded it off toward a new refrigerator. My brother talked to the guy , funny thing is the guy at the appliance store is the nephew of the barber that dad bought it from 50 years ago. I don't know, my brother and I probably would have had to fight for it if he had still had it.

berg
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:58 am  Reply with quote

berg: Good for you! There ought to be some roosters out there in Nebraska for you to try that gun out on...you'll enjoy that 24 when you get it done. Your Dad made a good choice too on the A-5 Light twelve; I got one about 3 weeks ago and it's a heck of a bird gun---rock solid. Enjoy your find...

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

Locally 16 ga M24's are rarely seen---great field gun
berg
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:49 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter,
Any idea how many of these were produced, or where to get more info? I've asked a couple of places that I really thought that I would get an answer, but no luck. All that I've found is that 116 some-odd-thousand total production with the "vast majority being 12 gauge".
So, I don't know, maybe 20% of total being 16's (around 23,000 ) sounds reasonable to me.

berg
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:03 am  Reply with quote

You might try asking about the Model 24 on this website:

www.winchestercollector.org

They have helped me with info on Model 42's and several Winchester .22 rifles...good luck !

jig
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:07 am  Reply with quote

I really love the M24 but I have yet to find any - anywhere in washingtonstate. Maybe they are rare out here
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

Wild Wood Guns has one with a straight grip, but he wants $1850 for it. Shocked

http://www.wildwoodguns.com