16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  I'm a Baker boy: Take #2
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

Well I imagine a couple of you remember my ill fated attempt at owning a Baker 16 gauge a couple of years ago, the gun that sent up red flags when I received it and was thusly shipped back to the seller. I didn't give up on the idea though.

Yesterday I was checking something on Guns International and just for the heck of it, checked out the Baker guns for sale. There was a 16 ga. priced mighty low and I considered it. Then I noticed the phone number. The gun was located a 2 1/2 hour drive from home, so I called and made an offer. The offer was accepted.

Today I hopped in the gas saver rig and drove down to Saratoga for about what the shipping would have cost and bought the little gun. The stock has a number of hairline cracks, some of which have been repaired. That's not a big deal since I can always build a new one. The wood fit a bit loose, but a proper tightening of the screws actually solved that despite my doubts that it would. The wood has a little figure hiding under the awful stock finish, so I may attempt to save it after all.

Now the bad news. The right barrel delivered it's charge 1/2 pattern to the left. Rather than stew over it I went home to gather up the Dremel, sanding drums, and inverter. A few minutes later I was parked out at what the locals call the "sand pit", re-regulating the choke. Let's just say it's not Mod and Full anymore, more like Imp. Cyl. and Full, but it shoots straight. Impact with both barrels is a tad low, but not bad. I may leave it that way for chukar hunting.

Anyway, I'm about done buying project guns (got my eye on one last rarity). There is the matter of the project Ranchero and the stock milling machine I am building. I won't be getting bored for a long, long time.
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56995_512x768/] [/URL]]
[/[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56996_1000x667/] [/URL]]

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:35 am  Reply with quote

Nice! I saw that on GI too and considered it.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
oldog
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:57 am  Reply with quote

I have rebuilt a fair number of Batavia Leaders in 16 and 12 . I like the way they ballance and point. I have found that the wood removal in the stock head renders it to be quite weak so I have had good success with reforming the especially thin areas using epoxy and woven fiberglass cloth. This takes some time but the result is a very sturdy stock that can handle a lot of stress.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:12 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Nice pick up for sure, looks to me like the stock is savable, have a nice time restoring your Baker Gun!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers