16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Poly Choke Installation
wahoo
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

So even though they are ugly to me, I'm thinking about finding another bbl for my Browning A5 with a poly choke. Since finding one in good shape, and the right length is likely slim chance, I'm thinking it might be a better idea to find any bbl that's affordable and in good condition, and buy a new poly choke, and get my gunsmith to install the choke. How does that sound?

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Browning-std-16-ga-A5-barrel-with-poly-choke-65mm-short-chamber/153536672694?hash=item23bf7fb3b6:g:-ysAAOSw-IldC~C-

tramroad28
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

I do not believe a "new" PolyChoke is an option.....additionally the one I had installed a few years ago was installed incorrectly.
Unless fortunes have changed in PChoke land.....best to count your blessings rather than go aftermarket installation, imo.

The screw-in PChoke may be an option if one threads a barrel...I had one of those models(it worked ok) but I gave it away to someone here a while back.

Otherwise....dem blessings may be it.
wahoo
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Browning-std-16-ga-A5-barrel-with-poly-choke-65mm-short-chamber/153536672694?hash=item23bf7fb3b6:g:-ysAAOSw-IldC~C-

Thx skeetx, I saw that one. It's the 65mm version vs 70. I think I ought to stick with the 70.

wahoo
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

tramroad28 wrote:
I do not believe a "new" PolyChoke is an option.....additionally the one I had installed a few years ago was installed incorrectly.
Unless fortunes have changed in PChoke land.....best to count your blessings rather than go aftermarket installation, imo.

The screw-in PChoke may be an option if one threads a barrel...I had one of those models(it worked ok) but I gave it away to someone here a while back.

otherwise....dem blessings may be it.

Installed incorrectly? That's really my main concern. I can see it being not properly aligned to center of bore.

tramroad28
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:42 am  Reply with quote

Yes, crooked but PChoke was clearly in the last throes of whatever at that time and quality control is often the first and most noticeable factor to go south.
Previously, they were stellar.

PChokes are a nice option and, to me, no uglier than modern grip shapes, finishes best seen on a '60' cadillac and duck engraving insulting even Daffy.
Each to their own.
bobski
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

as neat as polychoke is.....others were pretty ingenius too.
adjusto choke would automatically switch to a second choke of your choice with springs. kinda slick. makes a single bbl a double bbl.
I got a new 12ga one sitting around somewhere. this one was on an A5 of mine ages ago.
whatever you do, pray for a good gunsmith to fit it.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56046_600x400/] [/URL]

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I look at this in a completely different manner, is the single sight plan so important that you need to install a polychoke? In my case I do not even own a Semi Auto gun any more, I see no need for one on the old M12 16 gauge, it would just unbalance the gun. I opened up the choke to C for Grouse and Woodcock hunting, and that is all the gun actually needed.

Why not purchase a good SXS or O/U, today they even come with multi chokes, no need for a Poly choke unless you area stuck on a Semi Auto for all your hunting. The great thing about our country is you can own as many good guns as you like, why waste time with a Poly choke.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

tramroad28 wrote:

Otherwise....dem blessings may be it.

They did go under, once again.

I have a screw in polychoke for my Benelli Ultralight, it helps a neutral very light gun swing even better.

Most people shoot a single bbl. gun better than a double, although they don't like to admit it Very Happy And I use both, I have no prejudice against action types or number of barrels. My grandfathers did not find the poly ugly at all and bet most of the grandfathers of those reading this didn't either.

Today it is kind of like picking up the last "lady" at the bar come closing time. You hope no one sees you Embarassed

In 3 States I have been grouse hunting in the woods and have heard a rooster cackle in a field. And shot both a grouse and pheasant in the same outing by twisting a poly from Cyl. or IC to Mod. Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and Washington State. But seldom use one anymore. Do have an Ithaca 37S with a poly on it that handles better than the Knick bbl. that I bought for it so haven't gotten around to have the Knick fitted. Should as I seldom shoot the gun- because it has a poly on it. And someone would most certainly see me with it shooting skeet...
tramroad28
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

I no longer own a shotgun with an installed device such as a PolyChoke, nor do I still own a screw-in PChoke and that is simply due to the whims of being fickle re scatterguns.
But, I do, at different times, miss the look.
Why?..I guess it takes me back to days with birds, good people and better dogs....some I lived and some, I just imagined I would like to have lived.
Why purchase one?....I guess see the above and not be afraid to remember or to dream.

As to balance with a PolyChoke, I never felt that balance was a negative, anymore than being too muzzle light or too muzzle heavy, which is clearly a condition easily found with many scatterguns of differing actions and designs.
Actually, part of the deal with a PChoke is the positive it can deliver to balance but, why get all real world on the Internet.
I think, certainly could be wrong, that one simply tries to find what works for them.
Otherwise, one can find themselves trying to fit a mold...a mold of someone else....some real and some, well, let's just say that there are very creative mold-makers loose on that Internet...even here.

Also, I reckon I have wasted time with purchases of SxSs and O/Us or semi-autos as, I no longer own them.
Same for the PChokes I have purchased.....or some mexican food.
Oh well, it is my time to waste or experience or regret....it all happens, to most of us humans.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have to admit the PChokes do work, in fact we had an old Sears 20 gauge gun with one permanently affixed to the barrel. We patterned the gun to see if the Poly Choke did its job, and it did using all different kinds of shells. I believe my brother still has it in the old gun case, he was given from my fathers home. I believe he uses the gun as a home protection shotgun now. The gun was a clunky bolt action with cheap stock, it was given to my father when a friend of his passed away, it was not a gun we invested any money in for sure. Still you never discard a safe working gun, someday you may need it to protect your family or put food on the table.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
bobski
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:22 am  Reply with quote

ya know? I never lost a polychoke over the side in a duck boat or in a field fumbling for a different choke or the wrench to take them off.
nor, have I left my choke selection in the truck 5 miles back.

polychokes were meant for people who have small homes and wanted to add on a bedroom.

instead of buying a new home, they just remodeled and added on.

some men are like women. who must have a different pair of shoes for every occasion.
some men must have guns the same way.

America is a great place. you can have anything you want, buy what you want, enjoy what you have. and, be as good as you please with it.

love hate. doesn't matter. the fact that so many are found on old guns today proves it was popular. whether it is today is a moot point. but if you can make it work, jump in both feet and enjoy.

fyi...I still listen to vinyl records and have a land line and im a happy American.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:20 am  Reply with quote

wahoo , sent you pm
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

A buddy bought a 1928 single-shot Lefever field trap gun in 20 gauge for turkeys. It came to him with a Polychoke on it. I urged him to see if poa/poi coincided. He didn't have luck this year and finally shot it. It shot low and 20' off at over 40 yards with Federal TSS. He sent it to me to have a choke and barrel man install a choke and "turkeyize" the gun. When the choke man looked down the barrel, he asked me "is it shooting left and low?" He could see it was mounted off axis. Sumtoy's chop saw has no conscience and off it went. Gil
bobski
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:38 am  Reply with quote

installing todays screw in's face the same issue.
if I was to tell you all the factory new guns with non-concentric chokes installed, you faint.