16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Fishing tomorrow
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

Used to fish with my old buddy Pete at his trout club and some small Vermont streams for the brightly colored brookies on occasion. Never really liked his buddy Johny that would show up occasionally when we were having a gin and tonic. Always thought he was a well.. you know. The more the guy talked the more I realized we shared a lot of the some politics and taste in gin. Both were old time Vermonters who were very set in their ways and very conservative. Not like the "Vermonters" of today, especially the one you see on the news.( Although he did write me a nice letter upon my retirement) Pete was a bird hunter and we hunted grouse and woodcock together quite a bit. His friend Johny not Although I'm sure he potted his share of Pa'trige on the camp road. Anyway the more I got to know Johny the more I thought I must be the same as the opinion I had of him.

So we started fishing together couple times a year, I called in his first gobbler for him and we have an occasional drink together now that Pete passed on 5 or six years ago. Hes developed a taste for the goose summer sausage I make so I make sure he has a supply for his trip to N.Bruns for salmon and opening week of the Vermont deer season. Tomorrow we are going to the trout club they both belonged to. Ponds aren't really my thing but its a cool place and Johny cant wade anymore. I'm taking one of Pete's old fly rods, Orvis of course, first time old since he died. Hopefully I can catch a few of the brookies there on a Hornberg which was Petes's favorite fly. I'm sure we will toast to him regardless.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

soggy socks,

Sounds like you miss your buddy, lost a few of mine the past couple years myself. Go and have a good time, memories are definitely great. Catch me a beautiful native Brookie on the old Orvis Fly Rod and release him for me!

all the best

Pine Creek/Dave
F.E. Thomas man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:18 am  Reply with quote

Yes sir Dave, hit me the other night. We just lost a good friend of mine, a Mason from our lodge and I was thinking of all the friends I've have that have passed I hunted and fished with. I did catch and release some beautiful brookies on Pete's rod. Three on a Hornberg no less. Joe