16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Thoughts On Who To Leave Guns
bobski
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:53 am  Reply with quote

im living this situation right now.
I thought for sure the guns I owned would be wanted by my blood kin....but they are of a different generation and their interests don't follow any of mine.
ive also lived this sad truth.
most will say gee thanks grampa......and turn around and sell it for money to buy other things. usually for way less than its worth.
so there you have it.
waste your time (thinking) youre making someone happy, or sell it off for a loss and face the same fate of disappointment.

my guns brought a lot of happiness to me.
its natural that youd want that happiness to go to someone else.
but its an economic world where buying and selling rules. very few sentimental humans left on earth, making the market of giving guns even harder.

I was left with putting price tags on all my stuff and selling it while im alive....so the money can go towards caring for the living. (aging parents and my wifes needs)
id rather be alive and see the money from my gun sales make someone happy that way.

so that's why im selling guns instead of willing them off. and that's why its been a rough row to plow on the net. the net aint blood kin and its all about bucks and bargains out here.

good luck.

and with that...my 500th post.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:58 am  Reply with quote

I'm 78 years old and have no children, so I've not been buying guns with the thought of passing on a hunting legacy to anyone. I've been buying and collecting guns that suit me and that I will enjoy hunting with over my soon to be three GSP's and shooting clays with my friends. All my guns have been fitted to me and modified in some way to suit me and I really don't care about resale value. These are tools I acquired to help live the life I want to live and so be it. I don't think anyone else would ever value my guns or feel the attachment to them that I do, so expecting to pass on some emotionally significant object seems a bit absurd in my situation. I have given away quite a few guns where I thought someone I value as a friend might get more use out of the gun than I would, but I want those guns used and not enshrined as some tribute to me or my memory when I'm gone. When I do get too old to enjoy the guns I've collected, I'll likely sell or give away most of them to be used as the new owner sees fit. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the life I live.

airmedic1
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:24 am  Reply with quote

My wife and I were discussing this two days ago. I stipulated in my will that my son's and grandsons each get to pick a gun from my collection when I die. My wife is a lot younger than me and the rest will go to her. I imagine she will sell them but she won't need the money so at least if she does end up selling it won't be a fire sale. I've already give a couple to my god son will let him have his pick as well.
None of them mean anything to anyone but me and I won't need them when I'm gone.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:13 am  Reply with quote

I am 51 and have had guns passed down to me from my Grandparents and my dad. I probably didn't appreciate them as much then as I do now. I shot skeet the other night with my Grandmothers Ithaca NID 16 gauge full and full. She bought it new in the 30's I still have the original receipt. I really enjoy hunting with them occasionally and taking game. I know my Grandparents would really enjoy the fact they are being enjoyed and used. Sitting in the deer stand looking at my Grand father's deer rifle day dreaming about where it's been and what it shot keeps a the memories fresh. They took great pride in keeping there firearms clean and in great working condition. I like the thought of my son, daughter or grand children some day walking up on a Grouse or Woodcock point with one of my old Fox's or Smith's and enjoying them as much as I did. There is another option maybe donate it to a conservation organization I thinks member appreciate the history and would bid well at the auction. Then the gun will go to something good that was in line with your life style.
bearman49709
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:49 am  Reply with quote

With fourteen grand kid's and one great grand kid I don't have to worry about it.
Alan_Hicks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

You people are far too selfless.

Wahoo, I would be honored to inherit your guns when you pass. Very Happy

In all seriousness, if you do not have some one to pass them onto, arranging in your will to have them auctioned and the proceeds given to a charity of your choice is a wonderful thing to do. If you have any truly fine firearms, there are plenty of options to have them auctioned at a place that is certain to put them in front of hungry collectors who would appreciate them.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Alan,

Donating my L.C. Smith good guns to the Cody Museum or the NRA is certainly an option, however what most of us who have nice guns want, is to pass our guns to one of our own family members, who will use and take care of them as our Fathers and Grandfather and Great Grandfathers have done for us.

In my case it may mean our family gun collection will be inherited by my wife's nephew, because I may not have a nephew on my side of the family who shows the interest in our family guns. Unfortunately my daughter has never married and probably never will, so having a son-in-law to inherit them does not look like it will happen either.

I have given serious thought to donating my L.C. Smith fine double guns to the Cody Museum and it's not a bad idea to have them displayed there. However I would much rather give them to our nephew who would use them, and pass them down thru his family for generations to come. I do not want our family guns sold for drug money or some other foolishness. I have gifted guns in the past that it has happened with already. It is my responsibility to make sure the man who receives our family guns, is a responsible ethical man, who will have a good Christin family.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:44 am  Reply with quote

It seems to me you leave them to who will use them and appreciate them. If that doesn’t include family members then liquidate them late in life. I have a friend in his late 70’s and he still hunts but his kids and grandkids have no interest in hunting or shooting. He is going to liquidate a collection of very fine guns so his spouse or kids don’t have to deal with it. I am lucky and I have two sons and they both hunt and my grandkids are showing interest.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:12 am  Reply with quote

Chicago,

Mike you have the ideal situation, I wish mine was similar.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

I definitely feel fortunate.

Good Hunting,
Mike
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I always figured I would give them to people who really appreciate them when that time gets close. It will just be a case of handing the gun to that person and smiling. One in particular goes to my nephew. And if I fall off a cliff while chasing chukars, oh well, it's not like those guns are going to be much concern anymore.

+1

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
gunsrus
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

wahoo , you're preaching to the choir here .
ShowMeSon
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

Every time I fill out the the background check form and read the section about use of illegal drugs I think about this question of transferring firearms to family or friends who could not pass a background check because of use of Schedule 1 drugs. (Here in Colorado the most popular recreational drug is marijuana but psychedelics are growing in popularity.) Does anyone know the correct legal implications of this growing reality? Liability of the gift-er?
ShowMeSon
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Every time I fill out the the background check form and read the section about use of illegal drugs I think about this question of transferring firearms to family or friends who could not pass a background check because of use of Schedule 1 drugs. (Here in Colorado the most popular recreational drug is marijuana but psychedelics are growing in popularity.) Does anyone know the correct legal implications of this growing reality? Liability of the gift-er?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

For me it is easy. I only have one child, a son.....he is an upland hunter and a Marine.

He has one child too, a son!!!

This is about as easy as it gets!!